Chapter 14

We sit in the pitch black darkness for a few moments, everything unsettlingly silent. I flash of lightning allows me to catch a glimpse of Alec, who sits frozen on the couch, the bluish light enhancing his features.

"Uh..." I say, after the thunder cracks in the distance.

"LUMOS!" Alec jokes, using the flashlight on his phone to light up the living room. Oh right. Technology.

"So...I guess we can't watch The movie anymore..." I play with the empty popcorn bowl in my lap, the kernels rolling around at the bottom.

"Let's play twenty questions," Alec shrugs. I roll my eyes. How cliche.

"What do you mean cliche?" Alec asks.

Oh crap I said that out loud.

"Uh...nothing. First question! Whaaaat's...your...favorite...sports team?" I ask lamely.

"The Buffalo Bills. Biking or running?"

"Running. Movie or book?"

"Book." I raise my eyebrows. Alec narrows his eyes. "What?"

I shake my head. "You keep surprising me,"

He shrugs. "Vanilla or-" the power flicks on. Ping! I check my phone.

"Okay well, my parents are coming home..." I tell Alec. We both get up off the couch, scrambling to put away the soup cups and the popcorn bowl.

"See you at school, I guess..." Alec rocks back and forth on his heels, his hands in his pockets as he stands on the porch. I lean against the door frame.
"Yeah, bye," I say awkwardly. I watch his back as he heads out to his car in the rain. "Alec," I call, and then I'm rushing out towards him in the rain.

"Thanks...for everything," I say, giving him a quick(hopefully not awkward)hug. I pull away and Alec smiles almost affectionately. "You should rest, Camille," he touches my cheek and we both freeze. I stare at him with wide eyes, wondering if he'll make a move or anything. My unsaid questions are answered as he leans in and my eyes close.

* * *

"Camille! It's been so long! I'm so sorry if you didn't want to go shopping that one day, but we can put all of that past us, right? Anyway, where have you been? Everyone missed you so much!"

I wait for Diana to finally run out of breath. "I was sick. And apology not accepted," I stride past her to where Emma and Amy wait at my locker. Diana is left standing in the middle of the hallway in shock.

"CAMILLE!" Emma squeals and jumps on top of me, engulfing me in a hug. I peel her petite frame away from my own tall and lanky one. Amy sticks a thermometer under my arm, and after it beeps, she sighs and squeezes me into a hug. "Just making sure that you've completely recovered from your fever," Amy pulls away. "Especially since things got a little hot and steamy with Alec a few days ago," Emma says, wiggling her eyebrows.

My cheeks instantly flame up. "I seriously regret telling you guys about that," I grumble, swinging open my locker. A huge stack of folders tumble out just as I do so. "Oh yeah, that's all of the work you missed last week," Amy pops her head out from behind my locker door.

"Your welcome," she smiles smugly. The bell rings.

* * *

"Ladies..."

...gentlemen," my biochemistry professor drones. Imagine the teacher from Ferris Bueller's Day Off except 1000 times more boring.

That's Mr. Boris.

"Today...we'll begin our first major project...you'll have to work with partners..." Everyone's heads lift and excited whispers spread through the classroom. "...that I will be assigning," groans come from the students. Mr. Boris waits for the whining and complaining to go down.

"I will now give out your partners...Sam and Katherine...Jenifer and Avery...Josh and David..." I start to go off into a daze, daydreaming about cats and warm chocolate chip cookies. And-

"Alec and Camille," Mr. Boris's voice snaps me back to reality.

"Present!" I yelp. All heads turn in my direction. Cue nervous sweat.

"Camille...attendance was taken over thirty minutes ago, please try to pay more attention," Mr. Boris says in a monotone voice, his face void of any emotion behind his thick wireframe glasses. A few of my classmates snicker.

Wait, this means my partner is-

"Camille! Looks like we're stuck together!" Alec plops down in front of me. I groan and bring at head down on the desk. Ow.

"Okay, so I was thinking like, you and your smart brain do all of the physical project-y stuff, while my positive attitude and I motivate you for moral support!" He ruffles my hair.

I shove his arm away. "How about no, and we both do equal amounts of work?" I say, narrowing my eyes. Alec may be fun to hang around, but he is a super lousy partner.

He sighs. "I knew you would be like this, how does four o'clock at Starbucks sound? I'll bring the supplies," he smiles charmingly.

"Actually, I have a meeting with my manager, so I don't think that could work," I tell him. "Manager?" He asks.

I roll my eyes. "Model?" I didn't want to sound super cocky, but Alec either has a really bad memory or he just doesn't care to remember.

"Okay, then...tomorrow?" He asks, almost a little hopefully. "Well...I should really wait until after my meeting to see what my schedule is going to be like," I mumble.

Alec laughs humorlessly. "Wow. This is ridiculous. Do you want me to just do the whole thing myself?"

I glare at him. "You don't have to act childish, and maybe you should do it all by yourself, to help make up for all of those projects that you made everyone else do by themselves," on that note, I take out my agenda and write finish entire project.

Alec opens his mouth to reply, but the bell cuts him off. Everyone shuffles around, gathering their stuff, and I quickly slip out of the classroom and into the sea of high schoolers. Alec still manages to find me. "Camille, I'm sorry. I understand that you have a tight schedule....I was just looking forward to working with you," his apology sounds forced, like someone else wrote it out for him and he had just memorized it. But if we were going to do this project, I would have to forgive him. I roll my eyes. "Its fine," I say in a tone that suggests that it's not completely fine.

But of course, Alec, being the totally oblivious person he is, smiles brightly and offers to walk me to my next class.

"I'm already at my next class, but I'll see you at lunch," I give him a small smile and walk into AP government.

Do you want to keep your GPA? Then deal with Alec for a week, I tell myself. Easier said then done, that's for sure.

• • •

Tbh I don't really like Alec right now(in this book not in shadow hunters)

**Also I just started a new book! I think I might go ahead and publish the first chapter but let me know if you want me to wait until this book is done!**

Thanks for 10k!