Chapter Three: Confusion

The last class whizzes by and I soon find myself in front of my locker, preparing it for the next day. I feel human contact on my shoulder and I whirl around defensively. I am met face-to-face with one of the boys that were introduced with Louis.

    “Um, you’re Juliet, right?” Harry asks. I nod hesitantly.

    “Well, I'm Harry and I just wanted to say thank you for, um, helping Louis out. Both times.” He says.

    “How did you…” I begin.

    “Oh, uh, Louis told me… By the way, we, Louis and I, were wondering if you would like to hang out with us.”

    “Umm…”

    “Harry!” A voice shouts. My eyes move to see Louis. He walks up to us.

    “Oh, uh hey Juliet. Uh, I'm sorry about earlier…” He apologizes. I nod in acceptance. He smiles. “Did Haz already ask you if you’d like to come over?”

    “He asked me.” I state.

    “And?” Harry urges.

    “No.” I answer. Their faces fall.

    “Why not?” Louis asks.

    “I just can’t.” I respond vaguely and walk off and outside of the school. I hurry home. I couldn’t stop wondering about why, for the first time in my life, my instincts and emotions were somewhat working together. They were working together to, of all things, push me towards Louis. I don’t know what is happening. What’s so special about Louis?

    Why didn’t I kill him yesterday? Why did I mend him today? Why did my instincts lead me to him? Why did I fight the bully for him? Why did I freak when he was scared of me? What is going on?

I open the door and walk inside my flat. After only a few moments of fighting them, I allow my instincts to take over and lead me out the door and deep into the woods. I clench my jaw as my body contracts and shifts. My instincts hit full control and block out any human thoughts or memories. I begin to sprint through the trees. After hours, I finally decide to take a break. I sit down at a little stream and lap up some water. I glance around and an air of familiarity hits me, but I can’t remember why. I suddenly hear a stick snap and my head pops up and I look around. My eyes meet a, yet again, familiar-looking male. My instincts tell me to attack, but my emotions keep me seated in an almost déjà vu moment. The male’s eyes widen in fear, as it seems as though he recognizes me. I stand up onto my paws and he backs away a little. My human emotion of curiosity takes over and I step cautiously towards him. He stands paralyzed. I take this as my cue and walk up nearly right in front of him. I notice him shaking out of terror. My eyes flash to a blood stain on his shirt and I remember slashing him the day before. My emotions push guilt to the forefront and I whimper a little.

    The human’s expression changes to look confused, as he must have heard my whimper. I lower my head to smell him, as I stand tall at his waist. He takes a deep breath before moving his hand slightly as if he is trying to touch me. I growl instantly and jump back in attack mode. He throws his hands up in surrender and turns to run away. He sprints through the trees and I turn around and head back home. I shift at the edge of the woods and run inside my flat. The second I am fully human again, the afternoon’s activities are forgotten. I dismiss it, believing that I just went for a run and that was that. I dive into my bed and let sleep take me over.