Chapter Ten: Bliss

The clock chimes at the hour, signaling that detention is over. I snatch up my bag and bolt through the door, not sparing a look towards anyone. I instantly begin to walk towards home, gritting my teeth together to keep tears from spilling over.

    “Juliet! Wait!” Louis’ deep voice rings out. He grabs my wrist to stop me. I spin around.

    “What?” I snap. He doesn’t release my wrist.

    “What’s wrong?” He asks. No one close, no one hurt.

    “I can’t tell you.” I say, only slightly less sharp. He sighs and his grip loosens.

    “You can, you’re just choosing not to.” He says with a sigh. I bite the inside of my lip in a desperate attempt to stay strong. After a moment of silence, Louis lets go of my wrist and turns to walk away. All of my strength instantly fades.

    “Louis, wait!” I call out. He turns around. I take a deep breath. “Are you scared of me?”

    There. I asked him the one question that I'm terrified of the answer. If he says yes, I know he’ll slowly drop out of my life. I can’t take that. I look up into his eyes. His silence is all the answer I need. I spin on my heels with tears brimming the edge of my eyes.

    “No.” I stop.

    “What?” I ask, turning back to him.

    “No. I’m not scared of you. I’m scared for you.” He says. I cock one eyebrow in confusion. “I seem to attract trouble and, well, I just don’t want you to get caught up in the middle of it.”

    I can’t help but chuckle a little. He looks at me, confused.

    “Louis, I think I’ve made it pretty clear that I can take care of myself twenty times over.” I state. He sighs.

    “That you have. But, you shouldn’t have to. I guess, I'm just protective.” He says.

    A smile creeps up onto my face. I’ve had to take care of myself for so long. The last person to protect me was my mum and dad. I wrap my arms around his neck in a hug. At first, he’s shocked but quickly wraps his arms around my waist. I nuzzle my nose into his neck, savoring the sweet moment.

    “Thank you.” I whisper into his ear.

    We pull back slightly and he pecks my lips.

    “Hey! Hey, you kids! School is over! Get off the property!” A teacher yells at us. Louis starts laughing and grabs my hand, pulling me away from the school. We get off the school property and he turns back to me.

    “May I walk you home?” He asks. I smile.

    “If you’d like.” I say. He beams at me and re-links our hands. We begin to walk shoulder to shoulder back to my flat. We walk in a blissful silence, just enjoying each other’s company. My thoughts, however, are anything but peaceful. Liam’s words and Louis’ pleads for me to tell Louis my secret ring through my head. We soon find ourselves standing in front of my flat. I reluctantly pull my hand away. I turn back to him, against my better judgment.

     “Would you like to come in?” I ask. He smiles.

    “Sure.” He replies. I unlock the door and open it. He follows me inside. He is clearly shocked at the state my flat is in. Broken furniture and shattered pieces of various items cover the floor. The flat is generally very dark. It hadn’t taken me long to break the light that had hung from the ceiling when I first moved here. He looks at me a little scared.

    “This is where you live?” He asks. I nod. He glances around a little.

    “Could I ask you why?” he asks. I sigh.

    “Anger management problems…” I say as an excuse. It’s not technically a lie; it’s just not the whole truth. He nods understandingly, but still looks a little on edge. His phone begins to beep. He pulls it out, shooting me an apologetic look. He puts it up to his ear.

    “Hey mate.” He says. “I’m okay, Liam. I’m with Juliet… Yeah, but… Fine. I’ll be back in a few minutes.” He clicks end on the phone.

    “I have to get back to the boys.” He says.

    “Okay.” I say. He glances around at my flat, looking uncomfortable with leaving me here. I sigh.

“Calm down, I'm going out for a run anyway. I won’t be here.” I say.
    He visibly relaxes a little. He smiles a bit.

“Okay, well I’ll pick you up around six, alright?” He asks. I smile and nod. He smiles back at me before leaving. I head out my back door and to the woods. A large smile spreads across my face as I shift into wolf form. I dig my paws into the soft soil and push off into a full sprint. My legs carry me through the expanse of the trees. I run until my body begins to tire. I turn back to my flat and shift back into human form. I jog into my room and kneel next to the rarely even looked at chest full of my mum’s things.

I run my fingers over the worn wood until I reach the lock. I click it up and carefully push it open. My eyes wander around the chest full to the brim with so many fabrics. My mum always prided herself in looking absolutely breathtaking. I finger through the beautiful dresses. My hand stops on a black lace fabric. I’m not one particularly into fashion, but I could tell that this was perfect. It has ¾ length black lace sleeves and it reaches mid-thigh. Underneath is a black form-fitting dress. I slip off my tee and jeans and carefully pull the dress over my head. It fits perfectly. I smooth the dress down and comb through my hair.