Chapter 2 - Dedicated

He had lived his life very isolated from everyone in the district. He walked the hallways with an axe over his shoulder, which in the beginning caused a reaction from some people, but after a while, they adjusted to it. People would walk around with guns in their belts normally so after a while, it became just as normal as seeing a gun. He wore lighter clothing that fit more of the District 7-look and spent hours a day above ground, though against Commander Boggs' recommendations.

The other undercover agents spent their days in similar ways but were interacting more with each other. Rorke spent most of his time alone, physically preparing himself to become the man 'Marshall Ax'. There was no man by that name in the actual system. They had people in the Capitol who could hack into the database and feed their false identities so that it would appear as though they had always been there. The names would appear the moment Rorke and the others were sent to the districts.

"What is your name?"

One of the interrogators of the district asked.

"Marshall Ax."

Rorke answered. The interrogation was a part of the training. He had to convince them that he believed every word he said, even if they weren't true. They had him hooked up to a polygraph to monitor his heart rate as he answered the control-questions.

"How old are you, and where are you from?"

The man continued.

"I am 24 years old, coming from the eastern part of District 7."

Rorke continued to answer. On a small reflective surface, he could spot two figures of importance assessing his every answer. The man in front of him was looking back at someone behind him.

"Do you have any family?"

The man continued, nodding weakly at the people in the background.

"No. My mother was crushed by a paper-mill machine and my father died before I was born."

Rorke replied. Being able to relate to not having any family made it easy for him to detach himself from any possible family-relations. Pretending not to have any family was easy because he didn't have one.

"What do you do, and where do you live?"

The man asked.

"I used to work at the paper-mill producing paper, but I was removed because of disagreements. I am currently working as a lumberjack. I live in a small dump-shed in the middle of the village."

Rorke answered.

"You have done well on your preparations, Soldier Eames. I believe you will do well during your assignment."

President Coin said as he stepped outside of the interrogation-room. Commander Boggs had gone over to speak to some of the other candidates.

"Thank you, President. I feel ready for this."

Rorke answered as she motioned them to walk together and distance themselves from the others.

"Your scores on the polygraph were near perfect, not too perfect, but that would cause suspicion. You are extremely dedicated to our cause, and I know I will need someone as dedicated as you when the time comes."

She went on. Rorke was sensing something coming true.

"I will move you up to a position of higher rank and more responsibility over several squads as opposed to just one. It all hinges on you coming back of course, but I am very certain that you will."