Chapter 10 - Dangerous

"How do you know that the peacekeepers won't find me here?"

Rorke asked as he followed closely behind her. It was still the middle of the night, and their steps could easily be heard several meters away. Johanna had made this trip several times in the hopes of getting any sleep.

"Take a look around you."

Johanna said as she stopped. Rorke did as he was told and noticed that something about the trees was off. He would touch one and sense that it was moist beyond what he thought it could be.

"It's all rotten."

Rorke realized. Johanna nodded.

"The wood is so rotten and moist that people hardly come here. The people who built the cabin we're going to had that in mind when building it."

Johanna responded. It was a safe bet that lumberjacks would never use the woods from this area. It wouldn't look 'pretty' enough by Capitol-standards.

"But this is a lot moister than any rain could do to the forest."

Rorke mentioned before Johanna turned around once more.

"We're lumberjacks, idiot. We know how to make the trees and soil too moist for any good use."

Johanna pointed out. As they made it to a small clearing, Rorke saw the cabin that she had referred to earlier.

"It's really quiet here...it's kind of nice."

Rorke mentioned as he looked around. He almost slipped on some wet wood, and Johanna chuckled a bit at the sight of it. Rorke looked at her and protested slightly at her sense of humor. She hadn't laughed at a silly thing like that in years. It was liberating in a sense.

"Did you...did you know who built it?"

Rorke asked as he managed to get out of the slippery mud. When he looked up at Johanna, she remained silent. Rorke took that to be her answer as she turned her back on him and walked towards the cabin.

"Come on, I'll show you the inside."

She simply said. Rorke left the previous topic and followed her to the door.

"Due to the cabin's rather fallen state...the door needs a kick."

Johanna said as she grabbed the handle and gave it a kick.

"It serves as a lock in a sense."

Johanna mentioned as she managed to open the door and step inside. Rorke followed her and closed the door behind him. He had a look around. There was a small, springy bed in the far corner, what looked like a small grill in the middle of the room, and a small table right by the entrance to his left.

"So, what is this place really for?"

He asked as he kept taking in the interior. Johanna thought about it for a moment.

"It's a hideout, for lack of a better word. It's about the only place I have left where I can say or do whatever I want without thinking about the consequences. If I have a little too much heat on myself, I come here to be by myself, with supplies obviously."

She mentioned as she looked at a bag that she had placed in the corner a long time ago.

"I guess that means you have been here quite a lot."

Rorke answered as he walked to the bed and sat down to check it out.

"Well, there isn't much company in terms of people in the Victor's Village, not that there would be much for anyone to do. Blight is the only other person, and he drinks most of the time to deal with his so-called traumas."