Chapter 6 - Truth

Rorke held to his ribs heavily as he entered his shed and laid down on his springy bed. He was struggling to breathe without sensing any pain to his ribs. He knew he had some herbs in a side-pocket of his bag if he was to ever get in trouble and get hurt. He found it and mixed it out slowly with some hot water. After a while, he took a few large sips, though struggling with his painful ribs as he swallowed. He laid back down and closed his eyes for a moment. He had to give a report today. He had to no matter how much pain he was in.

As the curfew approached across the district, peacekeepers started to patrol evenly by his shed. He kept the lights on as he quietly closed the door and skipped down to ground-level, sneaking from one alley to the next until he found himself at the edge. From here, there was no cover at all. He had however found a route that had worked in terms of keeping him hidden from the peacekeepers' line of sight. There was an old log he could sneak behind first, then a ditch in the ground where the trucks were, and then he would have made it to the woods.

His concussion and aching ribs made it hard for him to move as smoothly as he normally would. He needed to take longer breaks in between but eventually he made it to the woods. He moved quietly, making sure he did not break any branches as he walked. Even out here peacekeepers were patrolling the edge of the forest could hear him. They were protecting the properties of the Capitol as well as looking out for any runaways. Rorke knew that if he was to ever be found, he would be shot right on site, especially with what happened in the square earlier today.

He got to the giant log where he had moved his equipment to and started tapping away in Morse-code. He had a small screen where he would receive his responses. He would sense them as Morse first, and then it would automatically translate into letters.

"Commence report, soldier."

Was the response on the screen from District 13. Rorke started tapping in Morse his following message, a long one.

"First encounter with peacekeepers in Main Square. Received a brutal beating, but I will live. Johanna Mason, one of the victors, intervened in front of the people. They speak of her as a hero, but none of them look brave enough to fight yet."

He tapped as he kept a steady eye around him to make sure nobody saw him. There was some sort of radio-silence from the other side he noticed, and he was about to send another message when a response came through.

"You had your orders, Soldier. Do not engage more with Johanna Mason, she is not your target, the people however, is. Keep antagonizing peacekeepers, see if people will fight for you."

That was the response he got, and he immediately knew they came directly from the top. He hadn't meant to disobey any orders, but this had been out of his control. Somehow, he knew she would not accept that as an explanation.

"Permission to make a suggestion."

Rorke tapped back as he received a quick reply which allowed him to move forward with it.

"Johanna Mason can help antagonize the peacekeepers, help people get out of their shell and fight the peacekeepers and go against the Capitol. She does not know of my role."

Rorke replied and waited for her response. He knew there was a big chance that President Coin would refuse his suggestion.

"It does not matter. You strayed from the rules. You risk being compromised. Stay away from her and stick to the mission. That is final."

That was the response he received, and he knew that was final.

"Understood. Soldier Eames, out."