Chapter 8 - Victims

After he left the market, he snuck out into the woods, keeping an eye on Gray and the other men from afar. No peacekeeper bothered with Rorke for that day even if they did see him. He made sure they didn't see where he went as to not cause any suspicion for the fast-approaching evening. He shared his intel with the men and went back to his house to get some rest. After all, he was still recuperating from the beating the day before, and he only had one more day of rest before going back to work.

Darkness was covering the land when Rorke found himself meeting up with the guys who were willing to risk their lives to set the district on fire.

"One of you has to keep watch. When the light blinks, that means peacekeepers are on the way. You need to do all of this as discretely as possible."

Rorke said to Gray and the others.

"We got it."

Gray responded for himself and his fellow rebels. They took off as Rorke kept a careful watch from his position. He would visible enough to his companions, but out of reach for the peacekeepers. In his experience, however, all peacekeepers ever did was talk amongst themselves, not actually look that much around.

"Can't stay out of trouble, can you?"

Rorke immediately turned his head to see Johanna Mason standing there.

"Occupational hazard of a rebel, I suppose."

Rorke answered as he turned his head back down to his friends. Johanna walked up next to him.

"What are they going to do?"

She asked after a while. Rorke looked at her for a moment. He seemed to have grown on her. Rorke didn't have any perceptions of who Johanna truly was, but he was starting to see something.

"They are going to place some explosives right by the trees, and at some point, organize a strike where they detonate them."

Rorke answered. Johanna put her arms in a cross in front of her chest.

"You're the watchtower?"

She asked as she turned her head towards him.

"Yeah, I suppose."

Rorke answered as he looked around. Johanna looked at him before she smiled to herself. She had long since figured out the schedules of the peacekeepers at night.

"Don't worry, the peacekeepers are at least fifteen minutes away from here."

Johanna answered as she sat down. Rorke looked at her curiously before he sat down next to her.

"How did you know where to find us?"

Rorke asked.

"I saw you lurking around in the bushes earlier today. Figured I'd help out."

She answered.

"Why would you?"

Rorke asked almost too quickly.

"Nobody expects me to do it. I love proving people wrong."

She answered confidently as she took a deep breath and just looked ahead.

"You shouldn't have done what you did today. Giving me that box with that note."

She commented eventually.

"Why not? People should see you for who you really are, not the person they all think you are."

Rorke countered. Johanna looked over at him.