Chapter 9 - The Tour

They went on with the same procedure for the next four days until security around the district tightened the closer it got to the Victor's Tour. The couple from Twelve were making rounds around Panem, holding speeches in front of the crowds to thank the Capitol for this generous chance they had been given.

Rorke did not see much of Johanna Mason during this time. He had apparently angered her with his sentiments about the victims of the Games. Still, he thought he saw her shadows from time to time. As much as he knew she probably hated to admit it, she still cared enough to keep an eye on him. Rorke also noticed that the peacekeepers were guarding the gates of the Victor's Village more carefully.

The day the Victor's Tour arrived in District Seven meant the routines were different. There was no way for Rorke to sneak away from the crowd. Extra peacekeepers had been brought in to keep the peace as people were gathered in front of the Justice Building. Families of the fallen tributes were standing on pedestals, with a big screen behind them showing the picture of their lost loved one.

Rorke looked around at the crowd. He had to act like he was used to this. If anyone caught his curiosity about anything, they would suspect he was someone that did not belong in the crowd. There were cameras everywhere, zooming in on everyone to make sure they were all present. The announcement of the visit came over the speakers and everybody's attention were aimed at the stage.

Johanna Mason sat on the steps in front of her brickhouse when the day came. She would have to be present when the new victors presented their speech and attended the so-called party afterwards. She had never really mingled with the new victors in the past, and she wasn't particularly interested in doing so now either. She had no choice, just like with everything else in her life. She did what was expected of her but made sure to make the most of it on her own terms.

"You must be very proud of them..."

Johanna mentioned as she snuck up on Haymitch with a drink in hand. He looked over at her curiously.

"A compliment from you...something must be very off."

He answered casually. His stench of alcohol disgusted her. She hadn't been fond of his or Blight's drinking over the years. She had just grown used to it. Alcohol was their coping-mechanism.

"I'm serious. I never thought I'd see you manage to get yourself a victor...not just that, you got two victors in one go..."

Johanna continued as she grabbed a few grapes and looked their way. She was supposed to interact with them, but she didn't want to. It wasn't like anyone could make her do it for the sake of someone else.

"Seriously, how do you stand her?"

She asked eventually.

"You are just snippy you didn't do it first."

Haymitch responded with a light chuckle in his throat. Johanna shook her head dismissively. She had never taken the time to talk to any of the mentors in the past because most of them were from a Career-district and she despised them.

"Don't take it the wrong way...or actually, please do. There is nothing to be snippy or jealous about when it comes to you. You have to deal with her unpredictable mind from now on, not me."

Johanna answered confidently. She looked over at the two victors. Peeta seemed okay enough, it was Katniss that bothered her.

"We might all have to deal with it at some point."

Haymitch mentioned before he left her. Johanna stood there, with a drink her hand as she observed the interaction between the three of them. She took a gentle sip as she watched them leave. She then grabbed the opportunity to excuse herself for the rest of the event.