Chapter 4 - All of Us

He kept his head down for a week. For a while it was only important for him to get into the rhythms of the district and become a familiar face in the crowd. It did not take long before people grew used to him and greeted him as they headed to work. They did not think much of him other than another worker, one who, like them, despised the Capitol and the peacekeepers keeping a curfew on them at night. What they knew nothing about was that Rorke challenged the curfew several times a week to report back to District 13.

This week had been calm, even he could notice. For a time, it would be quiet around the district, and probably in the other districts due to there not being any news regarding the winners from District 12. Whenever something had come up in front of the Mayor's Building, it seemed to add more fuel to a slow-burning fire. Rorke wondered if there was a way for him to test out who would stand up for him if he was ever under the scrutiny of peacekeepers. He knew he wanted to do something, but he wasn't sure of what yet.

This continued for several more weeks which turned into a month. By that time, he knew everything he needed to know around the area he lived as well as the other villages in District 7. The district was one of the largest in size due to its industry and Rorke had needed time to investigate most of the populated areas. It seemed to be the same in most of the district – there were talks, but no action, for now. Rorke needed to see it set in motion. That way he could report back that District 7 would support a rebellion against the Capitol.

"There is a plan."

Gray suddenly said as the peacekeepers were at a distance from them. The two of them had been a regular team during this first month of Rorke's, and they had made it past the awkward work-silence and shared stories silently on their lives. Rorke looked at Gray for a moment.

"A plan for what?"

Rorke asked. Gray looked at him with a funny expression.

"I hope you're not as stupid as you seem at the moment."

He replied and Rorke immediately nodded as he glanced at the peacekeepers briefly.

"What is it?"

Rorke then asked.

"In some of the old mines, there is some unused dynamite...in big quantities. We need to find the right moment to plant it under the ground and blow them up with it."

Gray answered almost in a whisper. Rorke nodded weakly.

"I assume someone's gonna have to be a decoy for that to happen."

Rorke answered. Gray nodded.

"That is one of the details that we're working on. We need to find the right time and place to dig the holes and put them down without the peacekeepers knowing."

Gray answered before he noticed the peacekeepers coming back their way. Rorke saw them too and they went back to just working in silence. One of the peacekeepers stopped to watch them. Rorke and Gray kept to themselves, hoping they weren't giving away anything to him. Eventually, the peacekeeper moved on.

"There's also the fact they're looking for anyone to make an example."

Rorke mentioned quietly. Gray nodded weakly.

"There is also that. I fear for whoever that is going to be. I doubt that person will see the sun ever again."

Gray answered before the break-signal went off in the distance. Rorke didn't reply to it as they were guided back by peacekeepers. Once they had passed the tree-saws, another batch of lumberjacks marched towards the woods, to keep the trees falling.