Black's ball

All the houses gathered in the Great Hall, attempting to make sense of the unfolding events.

"I'm afraid, for your safety, you will have to spend the night here. Prefects, stand guard at the entrances, and I'm entrusting the Head Boy and Girl to oversee everything. Report any disturbance immediately," Dumbledore instructed Percy, who exuded pride and importance. "Send word with one of the ghosts."

Pausing before leaving the hall, Dumbledore added, "Oh, yes, you'll be needing..."

With a casual wave of his wand, the long tables gracefully glided to the hall's edges and leaned against the walls. Another wave, and the floor was adorned with numerous squashy purple sleeping bags.

"Sleep well," Professor Dumbledore said, closing the doors behind him.

The hall immediately buzzed with excitement; Gryffindors eagerly shared the night's events, casting fearful glances at the Blacks.

Meanwhile, Cedric discreetly checked on Rosalie without drawing any attention, a privilege befitting his role as Head Boy.

"Everyone in their sleeping bags!" Percy shouted. "Come on, no more talking! Lights out in ten minutes!"

"Come on," Ron said to Harry, Alphard, and Hermione, as they grabbed three sleeping bags and retreated to their previous corner.

"Do you think Black's still in the Castle?" Hermione asked anxiously.

"I hope not," said Alphard, attempting to stay composed. "Dumbledore thinks he still is."

"Lucky he came tonight, at that time," Hermione noted as they settled into their sleeping bags. "If he came any later, the common room would be full of drunk teenagers."

"I reckon he's lost track of time, being on the run and all," Ron speculated. "Didn't realize it was Halloween. Otherwise, he'd come bursting in here."

Hermione shuddered, and throughout the hall, students pondered the same question: How did he get in?

"Maybe he knows how to Apparate," suggested a Ravenclaw.

"Disguised himself, probably," added a Hufflepuff fifth year.

"He could have flown in," suggested Dean Thomas.

"Honestly, am I the only person who's ever bothered to read Hogwarts: A History?" Hermione exclaimed crossly to Harry, Alphard, and Ron.

"Probably," said Harry.

"Yes," added Alphard.

"Not this book again, why?" complained Ron.

"Because the castle's protected by more than just walls," explained Hermione. "There are enchantments to prevent stealth entry. You can't just Apparate in here. And I'd like to see the disguise that could fool those Dementors. They're guarding every entrance to the grounds. Filch knows all the secret passageways," Alphard snorted. "They'll have them covered..."

As everyone conversed, Alphard discreetly glanced at the Slytherins, searching for his sister. Their eyes met briefly, and she quickly averted her gaze, turning back to the Slytherins who were engaged in conversation. The pain of missing their shared memories and pranks weighed heavily on him. Since leaving 12 Grimmauld Place, they hadn't spoken, yet the lingering care for each other added to the ache.

"The lights are going out now!" Percy shouted. "I want everyone in their sleeping bags and no more talking!"

The candles extinguished simultaneously, leaving only the silvery ghosts drifting around, conversing with the prefects. The enchanted ceiling scattered with stars provided the only illumination.