PROLOGUE

*UNKNOWN POV*
I sat on the edge of my bed staring into space and jerking at the slightest noise coming from the sitting room.
Then I suddenly heared the loud scream of mom which tore my heart into pieces. God knows how I so much want to go into that sitting room and plead with that man. Since my thirteen years on earth, I've never been this fretful.

That monster

My eyes darted to my eleven years old younger brother who was pacing my room in fear. He kept on walking from one corner of the room to the other
Until he stopped in his tracks and came towards me

'Sis, I don't think staying here is the best option. We should go there and do something. He's saying something about dad going to prison and I'm sure you don't want that"

He said with something akin to anger and fear in his eyes.  I so much wanted to go but dad gave the instructions that "no matter what, we shouldn't leave this room"
"There's no way we're going out of this room. Have you forgotten dad..."

"Fuck what daddy said! Look I'm going to the sitting room to help the situation. If not anything, at least to beg him. Even though I don't know what tf is going on"
He shouted as he made his way to the door. Somehow, I read meaning into what he said. We should go out there and plead with him. He is dad's friend after all.
My brother exited the room and I followed suit.

The sight before me tore my heart into shreds

What in the name of God
No way
No way
No freaking way

My dad was on his knees in front of him; Chief! Dad's best friend. Gone was that cheerful and ever smiling man who was always at our house every Sunday to have a drink with dad. That man has been replaced with an evil personality, void of human sympathy

Mom was pacing restlessly around the sitting room with my crying youngest brother in her arms as she typed aggressively on her phone. Probably to see if she could get someone to help us from this saga.
My younger brother immediately got on his knees beside dad.
"I don't know what my Daddy has done to you but please forgive him. I don't want him to go to prison"
He pleaded as tears streamed down his cheeks . Dad was still on his knees, holding tightly to chief's feet.
Chief let out a loud and disturbing laughter as he turned to face my brother
'Young man, your dad is my very good friend. I also do not want him to go to prison. That's why I'm urging him to do the needful. Persuade your dad or I'll..."

"Leave my son out of this!"

That was dad to Chief. I was still transfixed in my position not knowing what to do or say. Heck, I can't even explain how I feel but all I know is my heart keeps breaking at every seconds that goes by.
Chief immediately grabbed dad by the collar
"Listen to me dear friend. I don't have time for your irrelevant pleas and this boring drama your family are putting up. Do what is required of you or I'll have no other option than to ensure you rot in jail"

Mom immediately ran in front of chief and went on her knees. Seems her attempt of getting help proved futile

I remained in my standing position

"Chief we can sort this thing out amicably. You don't have to..."

"Get lost woman. Your pleas are begining to irritate me. Tell your husband to do the needful and..."

"The needful, which is?"

One
Two
Three

The atmosphere suddenly became quiet. It was as if the world stopped and the time stilled.
Chief transferred his gaze from mom to me. It was only then that I realized I was the one who asked the question
Slowly, Chief started walking towards me
I still remained In my position
He kept coming closer

Closer

Closer

And Closer

Until dad got on his feet and tactfully came in his way
"Chief, I beg you...this is between both of us. Leave my daughter out of this!"
Chief pushed dad out of his way with so much force that he hit his head on the glass table and screamed in pain

My heart shattered for the umpteenth time. This was too much for me to bear.

"Do you know why I like you?"
Chief began when he got to my front with a smirk on his face
Don't tell me he expects me to answer this question in a time like this...

"It's because you're smart. The needful I'm talking about is...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

.
.
.
.
.
.

A/N: *phew😪*
So what do you think about the prologue?
If you like it ,then don't forget to vote and comment
Lest I forget, I'm open to corrections
Love ya!❤️