[ Chapter Nineteen - Healing ]

"Do you think these ones are yellow enough?" Hermione asked as she picked another daffodil out of the grass, adding it to the bunch already overflowing in her hand. "Yes 'Mione, they're perfect." Ron said, brushing the hair out of her eyes. They were pacing slowly across the grounds of the castle, bracing themselves from the crisp breeze that cut through the morning air. Harry trailed behind them, enjoying the vast expanse of the outdoors and admiring the beauty of the ever changing surroundings. Summer was close around the corner, the flowers blooming and leaves radiating their boldness shades of green. 

"Every flower you pick you compare to the last, Hermione. Trust me, they're fine." Harry smiled. It was rather calming how something as simple as picking flowers brought him to much peace, especially when it meant something to his friends too. The little things mattered even more nowadays. "I just want them to be perfect when why not just magic a nice wreath with your wand like you did last time?" Ron asked curiously, stepping over a rabbit hole. "Because Ron," Hermione huffed. "Last time we laid flowers there weren't any in bloom to pick, I've been waiting for them to blossom in Spring and now they're here I want the perfect bouquet." 

Ron shot Harry a loot but he gave an encouraging smile, telling him to humour her. "It's like before, when we buried Dobby, you wanted to do it without magic, didn't you Harry?" She said while walking slowly to inspect more daffodils that were swaying lazily in the grass. Harry nodded, his mind tracing back to that moment. "Well, I think it would be nice, to bring flowers that are blooming on the grounds of the school. We lay them down for the loved ones that we lost during the war, so that they can be at peace knowing that there's still light coming from a place that was once dark, Hogwarts is blooming again, and we're healing from the darkness." 

Ron and Harry looked at Hermione in awe of such a beautiful concept, Harry almost lost for words at the gesture. "I know, I know, it's probably a stupid idea, I just...wanted to do something more personal. Pick the flowers myself for the people I love and miss greatly." She stopped and peered over to the boys, bracing herself for an immature comment. "How did I get so lucky to have found someone so thoughtful?" Ron asked, sliding his arms around her waist and kissing the back of her head, closing his eyes as she smelt the soft scent of rose in her hair. Hermione smiled at his kiss blushed at Harry who was admiring their relationship. 

"I think that's a beautiful idea, Hermione." Harry said, walking past her to a patch of pink Hyacinths. Crouching down he plucked a handful from the ground and inhaled the floral smell. "These ones remind me of Tonks...I think she'd like them."

--------------
They walked down to the courtyard that evening after dinner, where a candlelight vigil was being held in memory of those who were lost during the Battle of Hogwarts. Students and staff were invited to come pay their respects one evening every month, where they could have a quiet moment of reflection. Though Harry still found it difficult sometimes to come to terms with the loss, he appreciated that McGonagall made an effort to support those who needed after the events of the war, and to ensure that the ones they lost we're always remembered. The courtyard was glowing the warmest shade of amber, a thousand candles flickering gently across the stone grounds while hundreds more floating above.

Flowers of all colours were laid down, an array of wreaths, bouquets and single stems, resting peacefully in the dim light. The atmosphere was calm and reflective, students of all ages coming together as one to remember those no longer there. Harry looked out across the courtyard to people holding hands offering supportive hugs or a simple hand on the shoulder. Students sat on the ground together, sharing stories or their favourite memories of their loved ones. It was not an atmosphere of sorrow or pain, but a quiet celebration of life. A peaceful remembrance. Ron broke off to join Ginny, who was sitting quietly to the side of the courtyard with a candle.