[ Chapter Twenty Seven - Cope ]

It had been four days since their painful encounter on the bridge. Draco sat in potions class looking around the room, noticing that once again, Harry had not shown up. He was already filled with unbearable guilt from breaking his heart, but knowing he would be affecting his school work too somehow added to the guilt. He didn't want to be the reason Harry failed classes. Draco caught caught a glimpse of Ron sitting across the room, who was undeniably giving him the worst death glare possible. He didn't blame him either. Every part of him was hurting. He'd broken Harry's heart, messed up his ability to attend classes and now divided the friendship group too. He wanted to fall off the astronomy tower and never wake up. 

Pansy and Blaise remained impartial over the days since they found out. They respected Draco's reason but felt deeply for Harry too, which Draco thought was rather sweet how much they cared. They didn't plan on picking side, but Harry wasn't exactly in a position currently to want to hang out with Draco's best friends. He buried his head in his hands and groaned quietly, the last thing he needed right now was a slow lesson from Slughorn while all he could think about was Harry. The following day, Harry entered the common room, dreading bumping into the Slytherin but knowing it would happen eventually. He'd avoided going down to breakfast, instead feasting on sweets in his bedroom and relying on Hermione to sneak food during dinner time.

The cloak had been useful too, using it to travel the castle without any awkward encounters, though he'd grown tired of hiding and knew he couldn't remain this way forever. Upon entering the room, he saw Draco curled up on the sofa beside Pansy, looking worse for wear. He had his head on her lip as she stoked her fingers through his hair, reminding Harry of how that would always relax him, triggering painful memories of when Harry used to be the one doing it. He looked miserable, staring at the floor while Pansy read the Quibbler in one hand and stroking his hair with the other. He closed the door quietly and kept his head down, moving swiftly to his bedroom. 

"Harry." Harry stopped in his tracks and closed his eyes. It was Draco, who'd perked up from his seat after seeing his arrival. "Harry...H-how are you?" Draco asked timidly. Pansy sat beside him with a pitiful smile. "Fabulous, thanks. Can I go now?" Harry bit. "Wait...I-" "What?" Harry snapped, feeling tears welling in his eyes. He begged himself not to cry in front of him. "N-nev-never mind." Draco trailed off, sinking back into the sofa pulling a cushion over his chest close to him. Pansy looked back and forth from Harry to Draco, pained to see them like this. Harry walked off into his bedroom, biting back tears. Draco looked sad, so lost. 

His eyes were shallow and he looked unwell but Harry felt bitter, he'd brought that on himself, he didn't want to pity him. He closed the door behind him and sat on his bed, letting the tears flow out, face in his hands stifling the cries. It was another ten minutes before a soft knock at the door caused Harry to sit up and hastily wipe his eyes with his jumper sleeve. Ron appeared in the doorway holding a bag of chocolate fizzers. "Can I come in?" Harry was too exhausted to argue, nodding him in and trying to hide any trace of a breakdown on his face. There was a long silence as Ron made his way into the room, taking a seat beside Harry and trying to find the best way to start the conversation. 

They hadn't properly spoken since their fight. "Sweet?" He asked, holding out the bag, but Harry shook his head and continued looking down at his hands. "I-I'm sorry about you and Draco." Ron finally said, but Harry scoffed and looked away. "No you're not." "I am, Harry, really. I don't like seeing you in pain." Harry wiped his eyes one last time, sniffling the last of the tears back. "Why are you here?" "I just wanted to check on you, mate." "Well, I'll be fine." Ron sensed the resentment and decided not to push. He left the bag of chocolates on the bed and headed for the door. "I'll see you around." As he closed the door behind him, Harry picked up the bag of sweets and chucked it in his direction, the bag slamming against the door sending sweets in all directions.