prologue.

i hated the walter boys.

a hot take in silver falls high, really.

the walter clan was destined to run the school in just about every grade, the boys being so spread apart in age. even if they skipped a grade, there was a set of twins to compensate. everyone knew each one, maybe not distinctly or personally, but the classic blonde hairdo and class winning smirk was enough to tell you, yep, he was a walter.

eleven boys. one house.
the testosterone. the drama. the horror.

all the years i have been here, at silver falls high, the talk of the whole town was always which walter boy had hit his peak, or gotten his glow up, or hit a new athletic record, or had the highest body count.

okay, maybe the body counts weren't talked about. but they were noticed. envied. obvious.

but they were gagged upon by me. it was disgusting. 

i'd watch them from the distance, flirting at the lunch tables, leaning over girls lockers in the halls, sneaking off with them during the school day. it was as serious as track or horseback riding to some of those boys. and it made me sick.

no pack of brothers was ever a good thing. especially such good looking ones.

i seemed to be the only girl in this school to keep my distance from the walter boys for my entirety of going here. moving here in kindergarten, in with my adopted parents and a new town, i had got to watch each walter brother grow and glow up. 

but elementary school love notes, turned into middle school crushes, which all too quickly turned into high school flings and one night stands. and the drama would only pile.

the heart break. the cheating. the rumors.

i wouldnt be apart of it.

and i wouldn't let those boys have anything more to brag on by giving any of my attention. 

there were two in my grade, twins, that would be socially acceptable for me to be with. they were the oldest, but couldnt be further from each other. there was danny, who socially seemed the most laid back, even from a distance, i could tell he was also probably the most pure. and then there was cole, who was the hottest (public opinion, not personal). just the name gave me a stomach ache.  

the cole effect, they call it.

another thing i had learned from afar, is that everyone had to learn not to deal with the walter boys in their own way. especially cole, who had slept through most of the senior and junior class already. 

until one girl moved into town, and just about changed the ph of the mountain air of silver falls colorado. along with the attitude and the lusts of these very boys.

jackie howard, a girl, and now orphan, from new york, moved in with the walter's at the beginning of my senior year. preppy, pretty, and completely oblivious to the household she was moving into. a girl who swooped in and took every walking and breathing girl in this towns dream away. & she didn't even know it. earning every glare in the hallway from the girls who were too prideful to beg for the details behind each brothers door, and every juicy question of the hormonal teens that would choose to fight their battles.

either way, everyone wanted to live vicariously through her.

all except for me, of course.

but i ended up being the only one who was forced to. and by christmas, i would have met and been close to multiple of the walter brothers. maybe more one than another... but i'll keep the small details to myself for now. life makes you laugh, but at this exact point, i was groaning about it.

who, at the time, thought i had learned everything i needed to about the walter boys. seen everything i needed to know they were trouble. to know i had made the right choice; to stay far away. 

many lessons were coming my way this year. about the walter boys, about me, about my grudges, about all i didnt know, and about what i hated most of all.

all had just barely begun. 

the certain walter brother that this story is about will stay secret until the book is finished, then will be added to the title. enjoy the ride :) lemme know your thoughts in the comments, the author might just listen :)