chapter ten.

jackie and erin rushed in the door to the walter house, running from the cold, but i took small steps. and small breaths.

though i was letting myself branch out a little more to the it family of the town, i remained cautious. i wouldnt let myself continue to slip into any of the walter's traps.

"are you sure this is okay?" erin asked again, unwrapping her scarf from her neck.

"yeah." jackie let out an exciting breath, and taking both of our hands, dragged us in the kitchen.

"oh, you made it!" mrs walter startled me, appearing from behind the open fridge door.

"surprise!" a man jumped out from behind the corner, and jackie was smiling from ear to ear.

"uncle richard!" she giggled, and i recognized that name as one of the closest family members she had left in new york.

the pair laughed and hugged, and erin and i stood awkwardly in the hallway.

but then, cole emerged from the living room. i hadnt even noticed, but he stood right next to me, watching the reunion as well.

"erin," he nodded at her, but eyes lingered on me, "harper gray."

"jackie said it was okay that we joined." was all i could think to say, but i kept my eyes on jackie and her uncle.

he stared at me a second more, but only nodded.

"hey girls," mrs walter gleamed at us from around the still hugging pair, "its so great you two could join us, come on in!"

erin smiled and walked towards her, so i forced my feet to follow suit.

jackie went to catch up with her uncle, already leaving us girls high and dry on the sticking together and sulking thing, but i found a seat next to erin, and tried not to think of the circle of walter boys around me at this, very, long dining table.

a few minutes into sitting and focusing on keeping my eyes on my hands or my lap, a shoe kicked my own from across the table. i looked up to see danny staring at me.

he held a playbook up to his chest, tapping on it with his fingers, "wanna come help me with my lines?"

suddenly, my chest felt lighter. i didnt even care if my face flushed as a quick yes came out of my mouth. a distraction, please.

"could tell you were getting a little suffocated in there," danny winked at me while we sat on a living room couch, "i do too. i get it."

danny was definitely the best person here.

i laughed, and nodded quickly.

though, quite quickly, i was left unsure as to why danny had called me in to help him. flipping through the first few scenes of romeo and juliet, the boy knew every line perfectly.

"have you done acting before?" his question stumped me, as he interrupted the fifth scene with no warning to ask me such a thing.

i looked up from my paper, "um, no."

he had a different smile on his face, "youre really good at this." he put his playright down, "why havent you?"

i thought for a moment, before speaking slowly, "im not one for extracurriculars."

"yeah," danny blushed, "youre not really much for anything extra, are you?"

suddenly, i was blushing too, "no." but i laughed after he did, pushing my hair back behind my ears.