chapter seven.

the next week, i met jackie at our normal time, during both our free periods, in the extra room.

she looked utterly defeated.

"whats going on?" i asked sincerely, feeling excited to finally get one on one time with her again. no walter boy or drama over head.

the rumors were right, cole and erin were done. erin kept her head down in the hallways, and cole tried to act normal. but he'd sneak a few glances every now and then.

and, slyly asking jackie about the tense conversation we watched from above, my suspicions were right. cole had been helping parker prepare for her game, and after promising to be there for support, never showed. just like what he did to jackie.

for what, was still unknown.

was he with erin? were they in the middle of a break up fight? or was he with another girl?

i turned my focus back towards jackie, who still hadnt answered my question, in hopes to stop the useless thoughts and questions within my head right now.

she sighed heavily, "its not been my day."

my eyebrows shrunk, "why?"

"its lucy's birthday today," she looked down at the pen in her hands, the one that was usually scribbling down notes and to do lists, "my sister." i nodded along with her words, "and we used to do this thing," she stumbled a few times, "like, um, give each other tea pots for our birthdays and then use them together." i nodded again, "but then, the walter kitchen is so chaotic, it ended up getting broken this morning." she held the tears from slipping out of her eyes with the back of a finger, and pushed a stray piece of hair back in her tight ponytail.

"thats a lot of emotions, jackie." i let my clipboard lay flat on my lap, "whats the most prominent one?"

jackie thought for a moment, "longing. i just miss them, i miss birthdays. i miss having tea parties with her. and, after what happened in the bathroom-" jackie stopped herself, catching her breath but also clamping her jaw closed.

"what happened in the bathroom?"

"just paige and the other girls." she forced out with an eyeroll, "talking about me and my family." she let a few tears out at that, "i just really wish they were here to make me feel better."

wanting to press more about what the girls had said, and how she felt about it, jackie realized she needed to run to her car for something before next period.

"ok, but jackie," i called out, making her hesitate at the door before stepping out, "just make sure that today is a good day." she tilted her head at me, "let it be her birthday, dont ignore that." i urged, "but also, do something for you. do something thatll make you happy." jackie smiled a little, for the first time today, and nodded.

i did too, and finished my lunch by myself, adding some updates to my GoPP log and notes.

the rest of the day went by smoothly. class after class, the day dragged, but finally i was at my car and driving home, with the windows down and music blasting.

two hours after dinner, and into my calc assignment, a phone number i didnt have logged in my phone called me.

caller id, however, had a guess at maybe who it could be.