chapter seventeen.

way too quickly, tech week was over.

and it was opening weekend. and my brain was buzzing.

and currently, back stage, helping me do my makeup, grace's was too.

"you guys what!?"

i had, currently, filled her in on my past week.

right after that night with cole, tech week and full dress rehearsals only reared up more. honestly, i didnt have any time to think about it. or talk about it.

i had barely even talked to cole.

"so," i could tell grace was trying her best to move past the shock of it all, because we really only had a half hour until i needed to be picture perfect and on stage.

but it was hard for the girl, "do you think you'll go to his mothers award ceremony as like," she cringed, "his girlfriend?"

i cringed too, and we both did a combination of a vomit and squeal to the concept of it all.

"i really dont know." i sighed, handing her the mascara bottle, "its just all a little much."

lately, i felt like i had been a terrible friend. grace knew almost nothing until now, and she still didnt quite know about the talk in the rain the other day.

and, like i had said, i had barely even talked to cole about it. i knew he understood, he told me he did. he said that i should take this week, and prioritize the play, and we can both think about how to move forward with all of this.

taking time to think. i wish i even had the time to do so.

my mind spun trying to think of all of this as my life. all of it seemed to be happening so quickly, like i was trapped under ice just watching it all rush by, above the surface. i couldnt reach out and touch it, slow it down, or even process.

it was steam rolling over me.

but like i had been telling myself all week. the only life i cared about was juliets. and my mind couldnt be distracted right now. i needed to stay focused, and get through opening weekend. then i could worry about all of this.

"ok girl," grace nodded, proud of herself, "i think you're done." she turned around my chair so we could look at me in the mirror, and we both just smiled.

"harper gray madden." she put her head down next to mine, chin on my shoulder, "playing juliet. apart of silver falls high theater. friends with the walters. something with cole." we both giggled, and she just sighed, "who would have thought."

im glad she didnt phrase it as a question, because i really dont know who the answer would be.

it was definitely not me.

suddenly, danny was running into our room, huffing and puffing, "almost ready?"

i looked down at my watch, and it was five till, "shoot. yeah, im ready."

"okay, perfect." we walked to the stage together, and he squeezed my arm before we entered the stage for the first scene, "good luck."

i looked over at him, and melted at his kind, supportive face. i just shook my head, pulling him in for a hug.

whatever was going on, whatever was going to happen with me and this family, i was just so thankful for all of them. i promised myself, right then, to not let anything ruin any good part of what has come out of this family.

and if making any moves would do that, they simply wouldnt be made.

"thank you danny." i said, and he chuckled, squeezing me back.