chapter nine.

the next week was the last week before thanksgiving break, and each class had me groaning at all the work that was given for over break.

jackie had been feeling the same way.

"its going to be a busy four days." she stacked her books on the table in our special room, and sat down with a huff, "but im grateful for it."

almost the same way.

"whys that?" i asked.

"because," she raised her eyebrows, "there are many things i would love distraction from."

"like?"

surprisingly enough, jackie had informed me of her own hatred sprung up for the walter boys.

"my little walk on the wild side ended last weekend." she confirmed, "with cole's weird comments, and alex trying to kiss me-"

"wait what?" i said quickly, furrowing my eyebrows.

she just about shooed it off, "long story. dumb story." she fixed her pony tail, "story that deserves no more thought. neither do the walter boys."

"finally," i hit the table triumphantly, "feel like im rubbing off on you." i smiled proudly, and she giggled.

but did i still feel the same?

jackie changed the topic before i could answer.

"and also, there's the obvious one to ignore: thanksgiving." we both nodded, "we are ignoring all things thanksgiving related this year." i didnt even have to ask why, too painful, "pretending it just doesnt exist." she took a deep breath, "i just cant fake feeling festive, ya know?" she laughed in a way that said she didnt really find it all that funny.

i nodded. being adopted, thanksgiving hasnt always been the most favorite of annual holidays. my parents were great, but it just never felt right.

"thanksgiving is..." i paused, "hard for the ones that feel without a family."

jackies eyes perked up, "right, youre adopted, right?" i nodded, "how is thanksgiving for you, usually?"

for a second, i didnt really have words. no one has really asked me that before. i guess, no one has really known enough about me to ask.

it felt nice. but as an advisor, i really had to start drawing some boundaries.

"lets focus on you," i cleared my throat, "so, how are you going to distract yourself?"

"well, i have the food drive at the lark tonight..." she tapped on her history book, needing to be finished by the end of the week, "which reminds me!" her eyes perked up, "its just going to be me and erin running there tonight," she cringed, "and im not looking forward to it. could you... maybe... be there?" she looked as if i had already said no.

which, my first reaction to the girls name, was no. heck no.

however, then i remembered. erin was not apart of the walter, or silver falls. drama anymore. since the break up, she had been record breaking, for herself, off the grid.

and even still, the itch to learn what happened between them burned inside me. i blamed it on just needing another reason to swear them off for good, hoping thats what erin had resorted to do in the end.

"of course i'll be there."

right after school, i drove jackie to the lark and sat by doing school work while her and erin ran the food drive.