chapter eleven.

"okay, what!?"

i had dreaded filling grace in after thanksgiving break, but knew it had to be done. so on the last day, we could be found in the same spot on my bed as before, sipping our tea.

i had told her all about the food drive, and then getting invited to thanksgiving, and everything with danny. i had forced myself to tell her all of it.

her seemingly evil smile made me regret it.

"i know." i cringed, shoulders sinking.

"who knew it'd take erin collins to bring you to your senses," i smacked her arm, but she was unfazed, "so youre like what? into danny now?"

i tried not to spit out my tea, "gosh no." i leaned back, hesitant, "at least, i dont think." i looked up at my bestie with terrified eyes.

i had begun to get to know and appreciate the walter brothers, anything was possible now.

but i, still, sure hoped i wasn't, "i think he just saw me differently than anyone had before. he saw talent in me," i smiled to myself, "and that felt special. i felt special." i nodded, and grace just smiled, "maybe special enough to join theater?" my smile grew, and grace's jaw fell.

"who is this new harper gray madden!?" she gasped, "one holiday with the walters and youre a changed woman!"

i rolled my eyes, "okay. lets relax, now." i giggled with her, "reading lines with danny was really fun, and even before he said anything," i nodded confidently, "i enjoyed it. and i felt like id be good at this."

grace nodded, "you would. you got the nerd part down already." she eyed my walls filled with tapestry's and posters of films and plays i adored.

but then, her shoulders sunk, "dang. and i was so team carper." she sulked.

my eyebrows creased up, "ew, is that a shipname for me and cole?"

the girl nodded with glee, "i really think he likes you."

"well," i said putting my steaming mug on a coaster next to my bed, "i can tell you for one thing, danny has much more green flags." i pointed a warning finger at the girl who had begun to get too excited at my words, and she relaxed her body with a sigh.

"i just... cant take all the drama. not only of joining theater, but of getting closer to the walters with it."

grace shot me a look, "do you really think you're not gonna deal with drama when you counsel people, harper? i mean, what are you going to do then?" she had stumped me, "you can't just tell them to ignore it like you've always done."

my lips parted as i realized grace had a good point, again. all this time with the walter's would give me an in on teen drama.  grace was right, i would deal with hundreds of teen girls probably going through the same thing jackie was.counseling jackie through some of it has given me second hand experience, but nothing was as good as the hands on stuff. and joining theater would get me more into teen life, a normal teenage lifestyle.

something i had never wanted. but suddenly, it seemed exciting. it lit a fire in my chest.

"and, what do you have to lose?"

she was right yet again. the moment these boys proved me wrong, or showed me that they were exactly who i thought they always were, i would be right back to where i was, and could safely become a hermit again. i really had nothing to lose.

and, although i wasnt a huge believer in the concept, fate had really been bringing me closer and closer to the walter's lately. everytime i'd be done, or swear it was all over for good, i'd get one more reason to give them another shot.

or be forced to.

either way, what erin said hit me hard. and i really wanted to try theater out. so i had to choose to give in.

"ugh, fine." i still forced irritation though, but couldnt help but chuckle when grace squealed with glee.

looks like i wasnt jumping into drama with just the walters, but in my school, with both feet.

the next day, i walked much more confidently through the doors of the theater's auditorium than i felt. it was the last day of auditions.

conveniently, the last ten minutes of it, too.

the door banged open, and i immediately felt goosebumps climb my arms.

"another auditioner!" the teacher, mr choudry said, "welcome! youre just in time." his tone was kind, but he spoke quickly, "we're almost through. do you have a monologue prepared?"

my eyes widened, "um, no." i swallowed thick liquid, "no i dont."

a bang startled me from behind, and i turned around to see danny.

"harper?"

i couldnt form words at the moment.

"are you auditioning."

"uh, um. i-i-"

"hey," he stepped down the few stairs i had made it down, and put his hands on my shoulders, "dont be nervous. it just means you care."

his eyes boring into mine, i felt calmer. i nodded.

"maybe, i am." i turned around, still putting in effort to keep my voice steady, "auditioning." i clarified.

"do you have anything prepared for it?" the teacher asked me, and my face got hot.

"she loves the merry wives of windsor." danny spoke, now standing next to me, and quieter, he went "talk about why, harper."

slowly, i made my way down the stairs, shaking out the nerves from my hands and arms.

i took a deep breath.

"the play is about two woman. two woman that a money hungry, thief, scoundrel of a knight plots to seduce, and gain from their rich husbands affairs." i finally reached the teacher, who had on the armrest of a chair to listen, and i realized that danny had sat too.

he was leaning forward, elbows on his knees, and nodding me on. he was smiling.

"but the women find out. and refuse and reject him." i let the smile hit my face, "and together, they make their own plot to humiliate him."

"and whats so..." mr choudry  asked, "grand about all that?"

i laughed, "whats grand is, they didnt let something they couldve seen as dejecting, or insulting, tear them down." i paused, "they, in solidarity, "did what was right. and put falstaff in his place. they didnt let drama scare them away, or their reputations or honor as high mistresses stop them from getting respect and revenge. they were strong, and fearless."

"do you feel a sense of similarity to mistress ford and paige?" he asked me, familiar himself with the play, "do you see yourself as strong, and willing to fight for whats right?"

the question shocked me, but what had shocked me more was how quickly the answer came to me. and spilled out of my mouth.

"no. i dont." i laughed again, "maybe thats why i like it so much." i shook my head in realization, "ive never been one to be brave. to branch out. to put myself up for the vulnerability needed to have something to need revenge for. to do whats right." i settled my face, "im not brave. im not like mistress ford or paige. but i want to be." i cleared my throat, "i think i always have."

mr choudry smirked up at me. and danny was pridefully nodding his head up in the top row.

and even though the spot lights had been burning my eyes, and multiple students i didnt know had heard, and i had only thought and heard that for the first time as well, i felt free.

i felt lighter.