Chapter 5

Noelle's POV

"You look gorgeous, Noelle."

I turn to see Yuyu come into my room.

"Thank you," I murmur, studying my appearance in the mirror.

I'd donned on a black dress that thankfully covered all of my scars. My unblemished legs are emphasized by the cut and length of the dress, and that makes me slightly more comfortable.

"Do I really have to come too?" I ask on a breathless sigh.

For weeks now I'd heard about the ball that Cisco has been organizing, all in an effort to bridge the gap with the other crime families of New York and reinstate DeVille to its former glory. After all, my marriage with Raf had been part of that plan.

My brother has spared no expense in trying to make the event as ostentatious as possible—no doubt trying to dazzle his way into the inner circles.

His plan is simple. Pave the way for closer relations between DeVille and the other big players in the city, all the while undermining Raf's brother's power and making a show of a united front with Raf as his brother-in-law.

But that also means that everyone invited is a criminal. And that scares me.

"You know you must be seen." She explains gently, placing a hand on my shoulder. "People need to see the physical evidence of a DeVille-Guerra union."

"I wish I didn't have to..."

"I know, sweetheart, I know. But this will be the biggest event in decades. You know our family has always been isolated from the rest. To have DeVille back at the negotiation table is monumental."

"How do you do it, Yuyu? How can you stand all of this?"

Being Cisco's wife, she has even more responsibilities than me. And I've never seen her as anything but cordial—always with a smile on her face.

"It takes practice," she gives me a tight smile. "You may not be aware because you were too young. But it wasn't easy for people to accept me as your brother's wife. I had to hear their backhanded comments for years. I still do. In the beginning it got to me—it would have gotten to anyone. But at the end of the day, does their opinion really matter? I have your brother and that is enough for me."

I look at her for a second, unable to believe that someone as nice and gentle as Yuyu would willingly marry my brother. He might not be bad looking, but he is many bad things. And I know Yuyu is aware of every single fucked up thing he's ever done, yet she's never left his side. She's supported him through thick and thin, and that makes me really wonder about the nature of the relationship. After all, I don't think many people would be able to put up with Cisco.

"I'll do my best," I force a smile.

"Good. Because you also have Raf, and I see the way you two look at each other."

"What do you mean?" I frown.

"Oh, come on. He's always looking at you as if he couldn't wait to get you alone and," she pauses, a mischievous look on her face, "have his wicked way with you."

"Yuyu," I exclaim, scandalized.

"It's true. I knew from the beginning there was something between the two of you. He could never take his eyes off you. It's why I told Cisco to monitor your relationship closely, and if the opportunity arose, to approve of it."

"You?" I ask, surprised. But then I shouldn't be since Yuyu is the only person my brother listens to.

"Sometimes, two people are just made for each other." She comes in front of me to arrange the small bow at the top of my bodice. "And when you find that person, you hold on tightly."