Chapter 8

Noelle's POV

What..." his words are drowned out by a sudden commotion.

We move towards the source of the sound. Cisco takes the stage, a microphone in his hand as he draws everyone's attention. Yuyu is by his side, their hands linked as he addresses the crowd.

"Thank you everyone who decided to attend tonight's event, and trust us not to shoot first and ask questions later," he starts in an amused tone, getting the crowd relaxed.

Raf's hand engulfs mine as he places me slightly behind his body in a protective stance.

His attention is riveted on the stage, and I have to wonder what he was going to say...

"By now you should all be aware of the purpose of this meeting and I've likely met in person with most of those present here."

There are nods all around.

"I want to propose a toast for the union of DeVille and Guerra." He raises a glass towards us. "But most of all I want to take this moment to make our comeback official. DeVille is back. And it's here to stay."

More cheering as the crowd approves.

"And I know we all have a common enemy—Michele Guerra."

"We know that at least half of those present here today have had some type of run-ins with Michele. All unpleasant, I'm sure," Yuyu interjects.

"Indeed," Cisco nods at his wife. "As most of you are aware, he has taken power by force, when in fact it shouldn't even belong to him. Isn't that so, Raf?" Cisco asks, motioning Raf to come towards him.

My hand still in his, he leads us towards the stage as he takes the microphone. I try to make myself as small as possible, the attention overwhelming.

"For those who don't know me, I'm Rafaelo Guerra," Raf starts, and immediately, questions are directed towards him.

Why shouldn't Michele be the head of the family? He's first born.

It's the order of our world. The first son always inherits the power.

Is this for real? What is he trying to achieve?

Raf doesn't seem perturbed by the whispers going around. Instead, he merely gives them a bored look as he continues.

"You are right. As tradition dictates, the first born son has always been the designated heir. Some of you, however, should be familiar with my father's wishes that I be the next in line for the leadership position."

Shushed voices comment on his statement, some criticizing Raf's father, while others saying we should honor his wishes.

Raf merely holds up his hand, and immediately everyone is quiet.

I understand your concerns. Which is why I've decided to make public a piece of information that my father never wanted revealed. But alas, the dead can't protest," he gives a tight smile.

Everyone's eyes are on him, waiting for him to talk.

One small nod from Cisco, and Raf continues.

"Michele was not Benedicto's biological son," he simply states.

Gasps erupt in the crowd at the pronouncement, and more questions seem to make the rounds as some demand proof of the veracity of the claims.

"I can help with that," Marcello, the man we'd met earlier, interjects. "You'll see a DNA test on the screen," he points to the wall behind us. "That should be proof enough that Michele was not Benedicto's son. In fact, his real father was my uncle, Nicolo Lastra."