🌧Confusion and Heartbreak🌧

Hey people! I attached "Luminary" by Joel Sunny for this chapter. Of course, the playlist will be updated ASAP. I hope you enjoy:3

🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼-🌼

"...Like, if they actually cared, then why target the buyers, and not the company of origins?"

I hummed, pulling at the rim of my sleeves. The cold winter air nipped at my ears, breezing through the trees on the left side of the sidewalk. A deep grey filled up the sky, threatening to drop its infinite buckets of rain on the innocent humans roaming this earth. That included me and Ashley. "I guess because it's easier? It makes them look like they care, when in reality, it just gives them more financial profit."

Ashley nodded, kicking a pebble with her foot as we approached the front door of a classy-looking house. "Exactly! If you ask me, then-"

She fell silent, her hand still on the doorknob. Following Ashley's gaze, my lips parted. What the

"HESPER! Do you mind explaining why the floor is covered in mud?!" Ashley shook her puffer jacket off, letting out a loud groan.

A little girl came dashing into the hallway, her light-brown hair wrapped in a messy ponytail on the side of her head. "It was Nevaeh! I swear!"

Ashley rolled her eyes with a scoff, kicking off her shoes before placing them in the metal shoe rack, its golden color complimenting the peachy wall. Rising back up again, she shot me an apologetic grin. I furrowed my brows—

"NEVAEH! GET YOUR ASS OVER HERE!"

I jumped back, almost tripping over my now semi-untied shoelaces as I muttered a soft "Jesus" under my breath with a chuckle. Not before long, a second girl came stumbling down the carpeted, beige stairs. Unlike Hesper, Nevaeh's long, voluminous hair cascaded down her back in one smooth line, not a single strand out of place. Not fair. "Who's that?" she questioned, pointing a judgy finger at me.

I gave her an awkward smile, glancing at Ashley for help. She grinned, but then dropped her face back to serious as she turned to Nevaeh. "This is Lorenzo, he's cool so you two better be nice, yeah? Is Dad not home?"

Hesper shook her head, tugging at her shirt. "Nu-uh. Can we have a dance party?"

"Oh! Yes, please?" Nevaeh chirped in, skipping down the final steps of the stairs.

Ignoring both of them, Ashley instead asked, "What about Papa?"

Oh?

Nevaeh groaned, walking over to tug at Ashley's sweater. "I wanna daaance...Please?"

Ashley laughed. "I'm not putting poor bus-boy through that. Besides, the hallway won't clean itself!" She motioned around us, various blotches of mud covering the floor and walls.

"But that was Hesper!" Nevaeh pouted, folding her arms over her chest.

"Liar! It was Nevaeh, Ashley!" Hesper kicked the floor with a socked foot.

Ashley shook her head with a groan. "I don't care who it was! Both of you are going to clean it."

"But—"