Ch.4 Waves

Chapter 4

"My god," June whispered from her seat beside Meera at the banquet table. "Is he real or is he a figment of my imagination?"

Meera's eyes lifted, compelled by June's hushed words, and traced the path to where Eryx sat. A shiver danced down her spine as she took in his presence. His raven-dark curls framed his face, his nose, chiseled and sharp, hinting at an aristocratic lineage, and his piercing eyes, a silvery gray like storm clouds on a moonlit night...

Even from across the room, Meera could sense an electrifying energy emanating from him, an unexplainable pull that made her acutely aware of his presence. The air seemed to hum with an indefinable tension as his gaze, like a silver spotlight, swept over the faces in the hall before inevitably coming to rest upon her.

Meera, caught in the crossfire of that penetrating gaze, quickly averted her eyes, a flush of warmth coloring her cheeks. June's playful giggle beside her only deepened the crimson of her cheeks.

"Who's that lady with him?" Marcella questioned, leaning towards her sister and whispering to Meera. Meera's lashes lifted once more to the beautiful woman beside Eryx.

"Am I supposed to know everything?" She replied.

"Well, you danced with him," June said. "Didn't you ask him?"

"Of course, I said," Meera said sarcastically. "Right after we talked about our hobbies and dreams."

"What entertains him?" June's eyes lit up.

"June!" Meera forcefully pulled her cousin's arm down. "I didn't speak to him, you idiot."

"She's very beautiful," Marcella remarked, sneaking glasses towards the woman once more. "Do you think that's his fiancee?"

"He's engaged?" Meera's raised a brow.

"Yes, hello. Where have you been?" Marcella sipped her wine. "The whole palace has been talking about him for days. He's engaged to Lady Dawn Desmond. Her father is King Hemming's advisor."

"So she must be Lady Dawn then, right?" June looked at the two girls sitting on either side of her.

"That," Ozmen suddenly leaned over the back of June's chair and let out a sigh. His hooded eyes tracked the woman's movements as a sly smile played on his lips. "Is Zeya Winter. Her father is a nobleman in Voreious. She's here to shadow Eryx and learn diplomacy."

"What a fitting name," Marcella admired, her fascination with the mysterious woman growing.

All at once, the siblings and Meera turned their gaze towards the beautiful woman sitting beside Eryx. Zeya Winter looked as if she had descended from heaven on a cloud of dreams. And from that cloud of dreams, she had taken the time to paint her skin the color of midnight and mahogany. Her hair was a wild cascade of curls, an exuberant dance of coils that defied gravity and embraced the air around her. The curls, full-bodied and luscious, framed her face like a halo.

"I know that look, Ozmen," Marcella peered at her brother with disapproval. "She's too beautiful for you."

"And tall," June teased.

"I guess then I'll just have to put her legs over my shoulder," Ozmen chuckled as he sauntered away.

"What does he mean?" Meera asked, her brows furrowing in confusion.

"Who knows," Marcella shrugged, her expression a mix of bewilderment and amusement. "Probably just Ozmen being his usual charming self – and by charming, I mean completely ridiculous."