Ch.32 King's Play

Chapter 32

The night air in Zeeb's room was bone-chilling, despite the roaring fire in the fireplace. Meera sat still on her stool, her feet curled up and a heavy quilt draped around her shoulders, but she felt no warmth seeping into her bones.

"What did you see?" Zeeb asked gently, pouring her a glass of hot tea to soothe her nerves.

"First I was on a meadow..." Meera spoke softly, her voice trembling slightly. "I saw a songbird."

"A songbird?" Bram's brows furrowed in confusion. "Those are not associated with hexes."

"What else, Meera?" Zeeb prompted, his gaze intent.

Meera took a deep breath, feeling the weight of all eyes upon her. Eryx moved closer, offering her the tea, and she accepted it gratefully, her gaze briefly meeting his.

"Thank you," she whispered, her fingers curling around the warm mug.

"Were you alone in the meadow?" Bram inquired.

"No," Meera shook her head, her eyes lifting to meet Eryx's. A strange warmth spread through her at the sight of him. "You were there."

Eryx's lips twitched in a small smile, the tension in his features easing as he reached out to tuck a stray strand of Meera's hair behind her ear.

"And then we were at the beach," Meera continued, her heart beginning to tremble. "The rocks at the beach... they were glowing with strange symbols."

"Runes," Bram concluded knowingly.

"Do you remember what they looked like?" Eryx asked, his voice gentle.

Meera shook her head, her brows furrowed in concentration.

"Anything else?" Zeeb pressed gently. "Remember, no detail is too small."

Feeling the knot in her stomach tighten, Meera took a deep breath, her gaze fixed on her tea. After a moment of contemplation, she shook her head slowly.

"That's all..." she said softly.

Zeeb nodded thoughtfully, his old eyes filled with contemplation, while Bram adjusted his glasses and waited for the old man's response

"We can show you some runes," Zeeb suggested. "Maybe you will recognize one of them from your dream."

"That's a good idea," Bram chimed in. "Or maybe you can draw it for us."

"I don't think I can," Meera frowned, feeling overwhelmed.

"You can try," Bram insisted. "Close your eyes and think back to the beach."

"I can't," Meera shook her head, her frustration mounting.

"Anything will help, Meera," Bram continued encouragingly. "Was it a circle or square? Did it have dots or long lines?"

"She said she doesn't remember," Eryx interjected, his irritation evident in his furrowed brows.

"Bram," Zeeb called to the young alchemist. "It's alright."

"Are we done here?" Eryx asked impatiently. "Can I take her back?"

"What's the rush?" Lyall's voice echoed from the doorway, drawing everyone's attention. He grinned and strolled further into the room.

"Give the girl some space to breathe, Eryx," Lyall remarked, playfully smacking the prince's chest.

"She's tired," Eryx replied curtly. "I would like for her to get some rest."