Ch.39 Dead of Night

Chapter 39

In haste, Meera shed her torn dress and quickly dressed in one of Venna's silk dresses. The cloth stretched taut across her full chest as she did the buttons on the back and grabbed the cloak off the hook.

Out in the room, Eryx stood guard, his eyes watching the door as more and more soldiers appeared on the other side.

"What do we do?" Meera asked, coming to stand beside him.

"Open the balcony door," Eryx instructed.

Meera quickly ran to the glass doors and pushed it open. The cold winter air blasted her in the face and her eyes watered immediately from the chill that ran up her nose.

"Do you see the other balcony?" Eryx asked, walking to where she stood. "I'm going to help you onto the ledge. I want you to get to the other balcony. It's Will's room. Wait there until I come to get you."

"I'm not going without you," Meera shook her head.

"Don't be stubborn right now, M," Eryx's voice grew stern. "I can shut my eyes and deal with what's out there. But if you're in here with me, that creates a huge disadvantage for me."

"I can help-"

"I don't doubt it," Eryx said, stopping her. "But I rather not take any chances right now. Get to Will's room and lock the doors. Got it?"

Meera wanted to argue. She wanted to protest and stand her ground. But Eryx's expression told her she stood no chance. As her heart fluttered inside her chest, she let her eyes flicker to the door once more.

"Go," Eryx reached out and touched the edge of her face. "I'll be right behind you."

With a small nod, Meera stepped back. She quietly walked to the railing and looked down into the darkness below. The wind blew against her face and howled beside her ear. Eryx scooped her up into his arms and helped her over the railing, setting her on the narrow ledge.

"Stay close to the wall," he said. "Don't look down."

Meera took in a shaky breath. She pressed her hands flat against the castle walls as her feet began to slide forward. Her heart raced with adrenaline, her fingers gripping the cold stone tightly. The wind whipped around her, threatening to push her off balance as she clung to the wall. Below, the ground yawned open like a hungry abyss, beckoning with its terrifying depths.

Eryx leaned over the railing, his eyes scanning the darkness beyond. The tension in his muscles was palpable as he kept watch, every sense alert for any sign of danger. Meera stole a glance at him, her chest tight with worry.

"Be careful," she whispered, her voice barely audible over the howling wind.

Eryx nodded, his jaw set in determination. "I will," he promised, his gaze meeting hers for a fleeting moment before returning to his vigil.

With a final, reassuring nod, Eryx turned away, his focus shifting to the soldiers at the door. Meera watched him disappear into the shadows, her heart heavy with fear and uncertainty. But she knew she had to trust him.

Taking a deep breath to steady her nerves, Meera forced herself to focus on the task ahead. With trembling steps, she began to inch along the narrow ledge, her eyes fixed on the faint glow of Will's balcony in the distance. Each movement was a test of her courage, a battle against the overwhelming sense of vertigo threatening to overwhelm her.

But she pushed on, driven by the desperate need to escape the danger lurking behind her and find refuge in the safety of Will's room. And as she drew closer to her destination, her determination grew stronger, fueling her resolve to see the journey through to the end.