Ch.22 Sugar Dumplings

Chapter 22

After the vibrant day of games and festivities, Meera confronted the solemn task that had been looming since the day of her wedding – the inevitable departure from her homeland. The room, once filled with the echoes of laughter and celebration, now exuded a somber air as Meera began the process of packing.

Seated on the floor before her, Naya, Marcella, and June diligently assisted in the preparations. With careful hands, they folded her clothes, wrapped her shoes, and organized her belongings into chests. The room, once a sanctuary of memories, now bore witness to the act of bidding farewell.

Meera moved through the task with a quiet resolve. The weight of leaving behind the familiar echoed in the careful placement of each item as if the room itself held a silent lament for its departing resident.

The atmosphere felt stifling, and Meera refrained from uttering a word as she packed her jewelry and other precious valuables. The unspoken understanding among the friends spoke of the gravity of the moment, each fold and placement carrying the weight of an impending farewell.

As they neared the end of the packing, June couldn't help but inquire about Eryx. "Where's Eryx?" she asked, a note of concern in her voice.

"He's staying on the ship tonight," Meera responded, her gaze momentarily distant. "They have to make sure everything is safe before we set sail."

The acknowledgment of Eryx's absence added another layer of sadness to the room. The friends continued their task in shared silence, each fold and arrangement becoming a small act of solidarity.

As they finished packing, the others dispersed to their rooms, leaving Marcella and Meera alone in the chamber.

"Meera?" Marcella called to her from where she stood by the vanity.

Meera turned, facing her cousin and best friend, a small smile masking the underlying emotions tied to their imminent separation.

"Yes?" she responded, her throat tightening with the heart-wrenching thought of leaving Marcella behind.

"Are you alright?" Marcella inquired. Concern etched her features as she assessed Meera's demeanor. "You're sure you want to do this right?"

With a deep sigh, Meera nodded, forcing a smile onto her lips. "I'm a married woman now, Marcy. I must do what all married women before me have done."

Listening to Meera's words, Marcella slowly nodded. She stood, gazing at her cousin for a few long seconds before a playful smile graced her face.

"I guess the next time I see you, you might be a mother," she teased.

"I doubt it," Meera rolled her eyes.

"What do you mean?" Marcella arched her brow, sensing there was more to the story.

Meera shrugged, her discomfort palpable. She perched on the edge of the bed, swallowing before she began to share a more intimate detail.

"Eryx and I..." Her voice lowered as if divulging a secret. "We didn't consummate."

Marcella's eyes widened in surprise. "What?"

"He wants to wait," Meera explained. "He thought I was too nervous and scared."

"It was your first time!" Marcella exclaimed, surprised by the revelation.

"I know, but..."

"Does anyone else know about this?" Marcella pressed for more information.

Meera shook her head, indicating that the knowledge of their decision was confined to the two of them. The shared secret lingered in the room, adding another layer of complexity to the bittersweet farewell that loomed ahead.