Ch. 14. Venomfire

Chapter 14

"Meera!"

Eryx grabbed Meera's arm as she bolted out of the palace gates towards the winding paths leading out of the city. The silent night dripped with tension like honey from a beehive. The wind had picked up, tossing around Meera's hair like wings that could fly her away to where she wanted to go.

"Where are you going?" Eryx asked, pulling Meera to his chest and grasping her shoulders. He steadied her to look into her eyes as she muttered incoherently.

"You have to tell me where you're going," Eryx insisted, his voice laced with concern. He could feel the desperation in her movements, the palpable need to answer the sea's call.

"I have to go," Meera sobbed as if a loved one had slipped past her fingers. Her fingers trembled as she tried to break free from Eryx's grasp.

The city around them slept, unaware of the unfolding drama beneath the moonlit sky. The winding paths stretched out like a labyrinth, and Meera, seemingly guided by an unseen force, attempted to navigate the streets in the dead of night.

Eryx, torn between understanding and concern, tightened his grip on Meera. "You can't just run off like this. Talk to me, Meera. What's pulling you away?"

But Meera's responses remained fragmented, a mosaic of whispers carried by the night wind. Her restlessness and the mystical forces tugging at her soul left Eryx grappling with a profound sense of helplessness.

"Where do you want to go?" He asked. "Tell me and I'll take you."

Trembling and sobbing like a child, Meera raised her hand and pointed towards the hills just past the boundaries of the palace.

"There?" Eryx asked, following her gaze. "What's there?"

"Something's wrong," Meera's voice shook. "The water.....there's something wrong with the water."

"Okay, okay," Eryx nodded, understanding the severity of the situation. Taking her hand once more, Eryx began to pull Meera towards the backroads of Azmeera. The cobblestones gave away to uneven dirt and muddy paths as the ally cats and dogs scampered to get away from the pair.

"Are you sure that's where you have to go?" Eryx asked, pausing by the mouth of the ally and grabbing the hem of his white shirt.

"Yes," Meera nodded.

In the darkness, she turned towards Eryx just as he pulled the shirt over his head and handed it to her. Meera stared in confusion, watching Eryx remove his sword and the small dagger tucked into his shoes.

"Wh-" she took a small step back. "What are you doing?"

"We'll never make it there on foot," Eryx said, unbuckling his leather belt with one hand while his eyes watched Meera to make sure she was steady enough to stand on her own. "I'm going to shift."

"Shift?" Meera questioned. "Like....."

"What was it that you called it?" Eryx chuckled. "Wolfing?"

Meera's eyes widened. She clutched his shirt and dagger to her chest as Eryx slipped off his shoes and handed them to her.

"I'll need them when I change back," he explained. "You might want to look away in a bit."

"Why?" Meera's question caused the corner of Eryx's mouth to perk up.

"I mean, listen, princess, if you want to see me naked -"

Gasping, Meera raised her hands and buried her face in Eryx's shirt, causing him to burst into laughter.