Ch. 16 Moral Compass

Chapter 16

"What..." Meera felt her sinking heart rise up above water at the familiar faces of her cousins. She rushed forward and jumped into Marcella's arms. The two embraced as Ozmen stood nearby, a protective and watchful figure.

"What are you doing here?" Meera asked, pulling back to look at Marcella.

"Meera, something terrible has happened," Marcella started, her voice quivering as she spoke.

"What happened?" Meera felt her blood chill.

"Father's been poisoned," Marcella said, her voice cracking as she held back tears.

"What?" Meera's eyes widened in shock. She looked towards Ozmen as he lowered his head and held the pain at bay. "How did this happen?"

"We don't know," Ozmen sighed, running a hand through his hair. "It occurred after his morning bath a few days back. He began to feel ill and complained of his throat burning."

Meera's stomach churned, "Venomfire."

"Yes," Marcella nodded. "That's what Lord Zahir said. How did you know?"

The wind in Meera's lungs disappeared as she turned to look towards Eryx. He watched her careful eyes as if he expected her to crumble again.

"He's not the only one," Ozmen's low voice pulled Meera back. "June....."

"No," Meera cried out, her hands flying to her mouth to stop the whimper that wrenched through her heart.

"We didn't know where you were," Marcella grabbed Meera's shoulders. "We thought you were dead."

"I...." Meera didn't have words. Her soul cried out for her cousin and uncle. She felt the pressure inside her chest rise into her throat, cutting off her air.

"Where did you go?" Marcella's sobs echoed in the air as she clutched Meera's shoulders, her bottom lip trembling with a mix of sorrow and frustration. Meera's gaze lingered on Eryx, seeking solace in his familiar presence. Pain and confusion etched across her face, she hesitated, the weight of the news and her emotions pulling her in conflicting directions.

"I had to go," Meera finally managed, her voice barely above a whisper. The room felt heavy with unspoken grief.

"Why?" Marcella asked, her voice laced with frustration. "Where did you go?"

Meera, avoiding the direct questions, turned to Ozmen. "I'm assuming you're ruling as regent."

"Yes," Ozmen bowed slightly, his posture reflecting the weight of responsibility on his shoulders.

"What do you know about who did this?"

"Well, there was some destruction by the water channels," Ozmen explained. "We went to check as soon as we heard other people in town were also poisoned."

"How many?" Meera dared to ask.

"Thirty," Ozmen said. "All out of town."

"Because the water passes through their village before coming to the palace," Meera placed a hand over her heart to stop the ache, but nothing helped.

"Yes," Ozmen continued. "There were a few bodies by the channel. We don't know who they are or where they came from-"

"Delphina," Meera spoke up.

Ozmen paused, "What?"

"They were from Dalphina."

"How do you know that?" Ozmen asked in confusion.