Epilogue

Epilogue

The vast, quiet expanse of space—our new home, where the echoes of Earth's past linger like distant memories. We had to ditch the blue planet, thanks to its meltdown under the weight of global warming's unchecked chaos. So here we are, survivors clinging to the metallic arms of our space colony, trying to find a way back to a home we once knew.

Days here are a routine, a slow dance with space maintenance, endless research for a safe Earth, and, of course, the relentless fight for survival. It's not the kind of routine that gets you excited. No wild parties, no jet-setting to exotic countries—just the humdrum of daily life and a desperate search for solace in whatever form of entertainment we can scrape together.

Enter the "Virtual Life Simulator" (VLS), a sci-fi wonder that's our ticket to experiencing the lives of the dearly departed. All you need is a bit of DNA, and voila! Probes sent back to the wrecked Earth bring back bone fragments and genetic material, the ingredients for this bizarre recipe. So, when we hit the sack each night, we're not just sleeping; we're diving into someone else's life, compressed into a 7-hour dream. It's like a Netflix binge, but for the afterlife.

I've lived so many different lives within those seven hours—walked in the shoes of folks with wildly different lifestyles, soaked up cultural beliefs, and wrestled with ideas that make my head spin. It's overwhelming, you know? You start questioning the privilege the old-timers had, the ones who turned their backs on the planet and paved the way for its destruction. And yeah, sometimes it ticks me off. If only they knew what they were doing to our future homes. If only there was a way to shoot them a text from the future and say, "Hey, maybe don't trash the place?"

But nope, that's just wishful thinking. In the silent expanse of space, my anger's just a tiny blip against the backdrop of stars. The VLS is a time machine of sorts, letting me peek into the past but keeping me frustratingly mute. I'm stuck in a loop of watching their mistakes on replay, helpless to change a single thing. If only there was a way to break free from this cycle, to bridge the gap between our lonely present and the mistakes of their past. If only.