Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I woke up, the elusive nature of time slipping through my fingers. Back in the dimly lit room, the weight of profound tragedy settled upon me once again. Projections, they said, a way to glimpse into the lives of the old days. Each day, drones brought new materials from Earth, DNA for scientists to analyze and eventually craft into VLS memories. Watching the drones soar through space, a question lingered – who could shed light on this process?

My search led me to Dr. Hina Mercer—the scientist in charge of the VLS. An enigmatic figure, her mastery of the machine surpassed all others. I needed answers, to understand why we subjected ourselves to the emotional rollercoaster of past lives. It felt like a mistake that needed rectifying.

As I navigated the challenges of daily life in space, the emotional weight of the world's tumult weighed heavily on me. War, bullying, pollution—products of humanity. Yet, for some reason, we were expected to watch people's lives and magically become better human beings.

VLS Main Center

"Excuse me, I am looking for Dr. Mercer, I have an appointment." Uncertain about what to expect, I was determined not to leave until my questions found answers.

Dr. Mercer greeted me with a warmth that contradicted the scientific aura of her surroundings. "Welcome. How can I assist you?"

"I have a few questions regarding the VLS, especially its functions." Surprisingly, she explained everything in meticulous detail, as if I were expected to grasp the intricacies of her scientific language.

An integral part of the technology was the Trance—a deep, immersive state achieved through advanced neural synchronization and mental conditioning. It allowed us to connect with the Virtual Life Simulator on a profound level, merging with the DNA of the projection and experiencing it as our own.

"The trance serves as a gateway for individuals to navigate the intricate neural landscapes of the deceased," she explained, her words weaving a web of complex understanding. "Yet, it is designed not to affect the spectator, thanks to the neurological blockage that prevents them from fully accepting the projection as their reality. There's a clear protocol for exiting the trance, ensuring a safe return to one's own reality."

"Well, it seems that somehow this technology affects our perceptions of reality. I've noticed it in my friends," I expressed my concern about the potential consequences of such immersive experiences.

"That sounds almost impossible," she replied, her tone taking on a peculiar quality. "There is a clear protocol for exiting the trance, ensuring that the spectator can safely return to their own reality. However, we may need to conduct some studies on you and your friends to examine your neurological patterns during VLS usage."

With those final words, a seed of worry planted itself in my mind. Had I spoken too much? Was there something amiss in the neural patterns of my brain when immersed in the VLS? Only their tests would provide the answers.