Chapter 7

Chapter 7

It had been a couple of days since Amy provided me with the past life details of the girl. During this time, an inner compulsion urged me to reveal to Dr. Mercer my frustrating inability to influence people's decisions within the Virtual Life Simulator (VLS). A growing unease accompanied this admission—a nagging realization that I might be encroaching upon the free will of individuals, manipulating the vulnerable like a shadowy figure in the night.

However, my paramount concern remained time. In a desperate bid to save her, I repeatedly attempted to persuade the young girl against self-harm. Tragically, the true adversaries were not her internal struggles but her classmates, relentless bullies whose influence seemed insurmountable. Regardless of how frequently I ventured into the VLS to dissuade the girl from taking her own life, the malevolent bullies persisted in their pursuit. This, coupled with Dr. Mercer's twisted experiments, plunged me into a disorienting maze where my own life intertwined with the pasts of others.

Each awakening brought forth a new reality, leaving me grappling with the disconcerting absence of a diary. The records of my past experiences evaporated, rendering them seemingly inconsequential. To compound matters, there were instances when I found myself explaining to Dr. Mercer details already shared, only to discover that in the altered reality, these events had never occurred. On other occasions, she exhibited an eerie prescience, anticipating the unfolding events through her unique method of interacting with conversations in reviews involving deceased scientists. In this intricate dance between past and present, she consistently outpaced my understanding.

Even the most mundane aspects of my daily routine underwent subtle metamorphoses. The color of my cup changed, and the familiar cafeteria food acquired an unsettling nuance, reflecting the minuscule alterations in the fabric of reality. Strangely, I discovered that I had transitioned from the agricultural department to a new identity as a scientist—a shift that mirrored the broader upheavals in my relationships.

The dynamics with Charlie and Amy became an unpredictable tide, with moments of closeness followed by distant familiarity. Amidst this tumultuous tapestry of existence, an unrelenting sense of urgency gripped me—a desperate race against time to achieve my sole goal: to save the girl.

Dr. Mercer's Office

"I have some intriguing findings," she announced, adjusting her glasses and perusing the documents in her hands. "It appears that your brain scans have detected a shift in patterns when you cease to control a past life event."

I attempted to grasp the significance of her words, and she graciously simplified her explanation for me. "In simpler terms, it means you have voluntarily stopped manipulating the past lives I've been projecting to you, rendering it a complete waste of time."

Her words landed heavily, and the weight of the revelation pressed upon me. The room seemed to tighten, and I struggled to find the right words to articulate the whirlwind of thoughts in my mind. Dr. Mercer sighed, her expression a mix of scientific detachment and, perhaps, a hint of frustration. "Your decision to cease manipulation has undermined the purpose of our experiments. It leaves us with more questions than answers."

"Yeah, the realization hit me with a pang of guilt. Had I been playing with lives, tampering with the delicate fabric of existence, only to abandon the endeavor when it grew challenging? I just couldn't continue," I admitted, my voice carrying the weight of internal conflict. "It felt wrong, like I was meddling with the very essence of someone's life."

Her gaze bore into mine, and I sensed a subtle shift in her demeanor—a scientist confronting an unexpected variable.

"Your ethical concerns are commendable, but they complicate our pursuit of understanding," she remarked, her words measured. "The VLS was a tool to explore the boundaries of influence over past events, to potentially reshape the present and future. Your decision to withdraw raises questions about the ethical implications of such endeavors."

As I left her office, the echoes of her words lingered, and I grappled with the internal conflict that now defined my relationship with the Virtual Life Simulator. The pursuit of knowledge had collided with the moral quandaries of altering the course of history, and I found myself at a crossroads, uncertain of the path ahead.