Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Morning, 0630 hours. The routine persisted—gazing through my tiny window at the distant, unattainable blue planet. The rising sun brought a momentary majesty, a sight reserved for astronauts and dreamers. But the enchantment faded quickly, replaced by the reality of our isolated existence.

Knock, knock.

"Hey, man, are you having breakfast?" Charlie's voice echoed through the metallic walls of the spaceship. Most mornings, I opted for a protein shake from my favorite blue mug, a quiet ritual that offered some semblance of normalcy.

"On my way."

Dining Hall.

"Enjoy your cereal," the cafeteria lady greeted with a warm smile, her routine unchanging.

" She is always in a great mood," Charlie leaned in, "I wonder what kind of past lives she is watching; you know?" The cafeteria buzzed with muted conversations—colleagues with their own preferred past lives, each escaping into a different reality.

Amy arrived, the usual cheer in her voice replaced by a subdued tone. "Hey, ready for another day in space?"

"Hmm," I replied, maintaining a positive facade. Our work in the Agricultural Team aimed to cultivate and manage food sources within the confined spacecraft—the vital mission to ensure humanity's survival amid the desolation of Earth. "I just saw the past life last night of the girl being bullied in school. It was so sad," I shared, the weight of torment affecting me more deeply than expected.

"Yeah, pretty horrible, isn't it?" Her cheeriness dissipated as we delved into the details of the horrific tragedy.

"Well, if you're into sad lives, check the one I mentioned to you. Very bad also," Charlie added to the conversation.

The day unfolded with the monotony of space routines. Agricultural projects, maintenance tasks, and the endless pursuit of sustainable practices filled the hours. Every passing star, a distant reminder of the universe beyond our metallic confines.

Evenings were reserved for the VLS. This time, I chose Charlie's story—a soldier from World War I, a narrative untouched by the cruelty of modern times.

As the neural synchronization and mental conditioning waves began, I anticipated the shift into another existence.

As usual, the beginning with the birth of an innocent child and within the happiest time of his life. But like life, it passed by quickly, and I soon found myself immersed in the trenches, a stark contrast to the sterile environment of the spaceship.

The soldier's life played out like a poignant movie. His choices, the camaraderie with fellow soldiers, the inevitable tragedies of war. Then, the crucial moment approached—the fateful decision that would determine his survival.

The war scenes unfolded unexpectedly. The brutality, the camaraderie, the fear—it was a stark reminder of the harsh realities faced by those who had lived through such tumultuous times.

In the chaos of battle, the soldier took the opposite path. The path that would lead him to his death. Although the VLS projected the images of the past life, it didn't give you the thoughts of the person.

What could this young man have thought in his last seconds of life? Same with the girl, how could she have let negative thoughts take over her? What could they be thinking? If there could be a way to get into their minds and change their lives, I would gladly save them.