8- concussion

No.

I force myself up, ignoring the throbbing pain in my head. With the only strength I have, I continue shooting at the breakfast beverage, missing every shot. I have only one thing in mind: Protect Microphone, no matter what challenges come our way. I don't give two shits if I make it out of here alive. All that matters is Microphone's safety and her chances of solving this case and restoring some semblance of how things were before.

But let's face it. After all of this shit we've had to deal with, it comes out pretty obvious that we're all going to end up different than before. We're gonna view life differently. Things are never going to be the same. The least I can do is at least try to make things a bit better for everyone.

As I'm shooting more rapidly, I notice something unusual. I take a split second to see it, and in the corner of my eye, I swear I can see her. My sister. Her glowing aura is hard to miss, catching my eye and triggering a flashback.

—--------------

I can hear the screams and cries of my mother as my father punches her weak body. I hear glass shattering and heavy breathing. They're fighting again. It doesn't affect me. I'm pretty much used to them acting like this by now.

I sit down in my room, listening to music with my earphones in. I'm enjoying the music when suddenly, it goes quieter.

"Hey, Taco. Do you mind taking those earphones out for a minute? We have to talk."

Her voice sounds stern and her arms are crossed. She's not joking around with me. I know I'm gonna have to listen to her.

"Yes?"

"Well, the fighting between them has gotten too out of hand. I'm going to go to the car and file a police report. I can't deal with their shit anymore."

"So it's all gonna end?"

"Not yet, Taco. We still have to drive there."

Out of the blue, I say something I would have never expected myself to say.

"Can I come?"

She hesitates.

"Sure, I mean if you're up for it. It's probably for the best, anyway. Better to come with me than to deal with our parents, huh?"

I smile and nod at her. She smiles back at me, her grin displaying a feeling of slight stress and nervousness.

We walk to the car, the darkness of the nighttime sky limiting my ability to see, the gleam of the moon guiding me. I open my door and climb inside the car.

Immediately as I closed the door and settled into the seat, something felt wrong about this. It's as if I wasn't meant to come. I swallow and try to shake off that unusual feeling.

As the car begins to move, the feeling only gets stronger. My sister seems a bit nervous, probably about our parents.

"Sister."

"What now, Taco? I'm thinking."

She sounds irritated. I honestly can't blame her. This must be difficult for her.

"Why are they like this?"

"I don't know, Taco. They were like this for as long as I can remember."

I sigh to myself and look outside the car window. The rain drips down along the car window. I stare at the raindrops, betting myself on which one would finish first. This would distract me for now.