𝕌𝕟𝕥𝕚𝕝 𝕎𝕖 𝕄𝕖𝕖𝕥 𝔸𝕘𝕒𝕚𝕟

Right after Nicholas has just been dragged away and Mrs. Plum has just shut the door after her, silence hung heavily in the air for a moment with unspoken tension.

Still in Edward's arms, (Y/n) shakily let go of her breathe which she didn't notice she was holding as she felt her body beginning to become relaxed again when rage left her body and exhaustion started to take its place.

Until now, she has never believe that she was capable of feeling such an amount of rage, nor did she think that the residents from the Land of the Dead can be just as malevolent as they can be kind. Though deep down, she knew that she too also wanted to harm Nicholas for everything he has done to them while she was dueling him.

As Elder Gutknecht walked back towards the altar and resealed the bottle of the 'Wine of Ages', Edward and (Y/n) finally turned back to look at each other again with love and concern for each other shining in both their eyes. "Are you alright, love?" (Y/n) asked, tenderly placing a hand on Edward's cheek which he reciprocated by leaning more into her touch. "Don't worry, love. I am fine," he assured her with a smile.

"And you? Are you hurt anywhere, my love?" he asked, pulling back slightly as his eyes scanned around her body to make sure there was no injuries on her.

"I'm fine," (Y/n) chuckled softly, letting Edward examine her until he was ensured that she wasn't hurt anywhere at all.

"Good. Good. That's good," Edward mumbled when he was sure and smiled with relief as he tenderly held her face in his hands and kissed her forehead which makes the (h/c) haired girl's smile widened as they look into each other's eyes which were filled with nothing but the love they have for each other.

Silence fell between them once again as the two of them spent a moment just staring at each other, taking into each other's features carefully to remember every detail. Aware of what was about to happen now, (Y/n) swallowed thickly and her eyes started to glisten with tears once again as she continued to caress Edward's face gently, her hand trembling as she did. It was almost as if Edward knew what was going through in her mind because with a soft smile playing upon his decaying lips, he reached out to delicately brush his bony finger against her cheek, tenderly wiping away a stray tear that escaped from her eye.

And he did.

The smile on his lips was filled with tenderness and bittersweet understanding as Edward knew almost exactly what was going on in his (Y/n)'s mind. His heart has never felt any more heavier and painful in his life than it did in this moment as he stood by the decision he has made to release her from him...though every fiber of his being longed to hold onto her, to stay with her forever, but he knew it was not meant to be...at least not in this life.

He couldn't bear to see her giving her life away just for him when she could still enjoy her life, doing all the things she loves instead of joining him in the Land of the Dead. Just the very thought of it pained him more than any physical torment ever could have.

He loves her. He loves her so much enough to let her go even if it kills him inside.

Seeing the mixture of affection, regret and pain swirling in his eyes, (Y/n)'s eyes became welled with more tears in them and her voice quivered with emotions as she finally asked the question that has been haunting her though she already knew his answer well. "Do you really have to go?" she asked, her eyes glistening with tears as they mirrored the pain Edward was feeling as well.

"I have to," he replied, pressing another kiss against her forehead as he continued to brush away the tears streaming down her cheeks.

"But we promised," (Y/n) softly protested and Edward only smiled back at her wistfully, gently leaning his forehead against hers as he spoke, "And you kept your promise, my love. You set me free. Now I can do the same for you."