Chapter 5

Payu parked the car in the outside courtyard of his family's house. As soon as the noise of the engine stopped, they heard Pete approaching them. The former bodyguard had a nice smile on his face and he was waiting for the guests with open arms.

"Som! I'm so happy to see you again! And this must be Ple! Oh goodness, you are adorable. Surely Payu told me a lot about you. Let me tell you that I'm very glad to welcome you here, your brother is basically a member of our family already" Pete said as he hugged Som and Ple.

"Dad, I'm going to the kitchen, would you mind taking our guests to the living room? So you can have a nice talk while I prepare dinner" Payu said, his father nodded and they all entered the mansion. Vegas was at the window, and as he saw them approaching, he moved away.

Vegas knew that it was extremely impolite to ignore his son's friends, he didn't really care that much about being rude, but he was afraid of Pete's possible reaction, so he went to the living room and waited, preparing a few drinks.

There was just one positive thing about Payu's dinners with Som and Ple: the food. As Vegas always repeated to himself, his dear son learnt how to cook from Pete, this meant that he could easily prepare some tasty meals, even though they could be at times a little bit too spicy (but at least they couldn't cause food poisoning like Vegas's meals).

Som, Ple and Pete reached the living room, Vegas welcomed them with a fake smile and offered them a drink. After a pretty awkward silence, Pete finally decided to start the conversation himself.

"So, Som, have you already organized your holiday after your graduation?"

Som nodded and put the glass back onto the small table in the center of the room. Knowing what Som was going to respond, Ple felt a little annoyed.

"Yes, I thought that Payu had already told you about it. My uncle has a large farm in the north, it is a very nice and peaceful place, so I thought we could spend a month there, I really deserve to relax after all these exams"

Vegas stood up to leave.

"Where are you going, Vegas?" Pete asked.

"There is such a nice smell, I think I'll go see how much time Payu needs to finish" Vegas replied and left the room before his husband could make up an excuse to make him stay there. He reached the kitchen and closed the door behind himself.

"Oh, hi dad, what are you doing here? Escaping again?" Payu asked, surprised to see his father in the kitchen, the last place he would expect to find him.

"A farm, seriously? That's your idea of holiday?" Vegas started.

"Dad, please..."

"You don't even like the countryside. You barely survived when we went to visit your grandparents in Pete's village. Why are you doing this?" Vegas asked.

"I know what you're thinking, but Som likes it and I don't see why I shouldn't let him do what he likes. You did the same with Pete, then why are you so against it?" Payu replied.

"Venice! First, I owe your father a lot of things, you know it, that's why I'm happy to do things I don't like if he's the one asking for it. Your situation with Som is totally different, you owe him nothing!" Vegas said with an annoyed voice, he was clearly worried about his son's relationship, much more than Pete for some reason.

"No, dad, being in a relationship means having compromises, and you can't deny this because it's a fact" Payu added.

"Yeah, you're right, so I suppose that just like you do all of this for him, he also gives up on some other aspects and lets you choose. When is the last time it happened?" Vegas asked with a smirk, knowing what the answer would be. In fact, Payu tried to say something, but he really couldn't think of a proper answer.

"This is what I mean. Venice, you can't do this, you think you're making him happy, but it will just hurt him even more if you keep being his loyal dog instead of his boyfriend"