Chapter 9

I woke up, lying in a field of debris, someone blew that damn tower up.

Y/N: Wake the fuck up, Samurai, we got a bogeyman to kill.

He said as he squatted down next to me.

V: Who the fuck did that?

Y/N: No idea, maybe Smasher or some Merc that was trying to steal our kill.

Once I stood up and looked around, I found the body of Takemura, he did not survive.

V: Dammit...

Y/N: One scumbag less to worry about.

V: He could've helped us against Smasher.

Y/N: I think he made it very clear that he wasn't gonna help us, now, let's go, we gotta storm Arasaka Tower.

V: Wait, what? We can't do that, not yet.

Y/N: This is the perfect moment, they're gonna retreat and fortify the tower, we gotta strike them before they can do that.

V: I'm not strong enough.

Y/N: The fuck? You literally just survived a skyscraper collapsing on top of you.

V: Which means that I deserve a break.

Y/N: You'll get your break after we kill Smasher and the brat.

V: You pumped me up with some cyber attachments but that's by far not enough to get us to the top of the tower, it's way too heavily guarded.

Y/N: How about a little more confidence? Two out of three defence pillars are down, only Smasher remains. Once he's gone, the brat is easy money and Arasaka is done.

V: Hanako will take over.

Y/N: Then we'll kill her as well.

V: Sounds like a nice plan if I would be equipped good enough to storm the tower.

Y/N: You are equipped to do that, trust me.

V: I'm a Merc, not some spec ops soldier who can take a whole building.

Y/N: You remember when I told I that I let Misty lay out some of her Tarot cards for me?

V: Yeah.

Y/N: There was a specific one that stood out from all the others.

V: Which one?

He pulled a card out of his pocket and gave it to me.

V: How did you-The Grim Reaper?

I asked in surprise as I examined the creepy drawing of Death on the card.

Y/N: The media never got wind of my acts.

V: What acts?

Y/N: All the murders that I committed, all the people that I have killed.

V: You mean when you were riding with the Aldecaldos?

Y/N: That was the beginning of my never ending killing streak. I killed everyone who was a threat to the Aldecaldos, then, I killed a bunch of people while I was in the band, nobody would think that an artist would do such things, but Rogue and the Afterlife knew about it, that's why they kept paying me a shit ton of Eddies for every kill.

V: Then you got captured by Arasaka.

Y/N: And killed even more for them, before Smasher took me down. But even now, in death, I continue to reap, in fact I have grown so powerful that I don't even need my own body to kill my enemies.

V: Yeah, cuz I'm doing the dirty work for you.

Y/N: You struck a deal with the Grim Reaper after all. You let me kill, and I let you live.

V: What if I just pull the chip out of my skull and be done with it?

Y/N: Do you want to end as a nobody or become a legend of Night City?

V: Just for your info, it was me who killed Oda and Takemura, at least people will think so, since you did it with my body.

Y/N: You think Arasaka published the Intel about Oda dying? Do you think they will tell the world who's responsible for blowing up this building?

V: I'll make sure that the world will find out about it.

Y/N: I will grant you the chance to do so after we finish the gig. I'll get my revenge and you'll get your fame.

V: Hmph, alright, deal. Let's do this, Silverhand.

Ten minutes later

The rain was dripping down my face as I looked at the gigantic Arasaka Tower in front of me from a distance.

Y/N: I know that feeling. Your heart beating like crazy, minutes before the greatest gig of your life.

V: Is that what you felt when you blew up the first tower with Morgan?

Y/N: Hell yeah, that was a moment for the history books. A moment that showed the world that Arasaka can be brought down. But that was decades ago, Arasaka recovered and the people have forgotten about all that.

V: Let's make sure that they won't forget that ever again after what we're gonna do now.

Y/N: The Reaper will take his last soul today, Arasaka's soul.

V: They say that every empire falls, don't they?

Y/N: And this empire expired a long time ago. So why wait another century to see it destroying itself when we can do it ourselves and get all the credit for it?

V: We will die today.

Y/N: Most likely, but that'll be worth it. Remember what Dex asked you the first time you guys met?

V: You mean if I would rather live in peace as Mr. Nobody, die ripe, old and smelling slightly of urine? Or go down for all times in a blaze of glory, smelling near like posies, without seeing my thirtieth?

Y/N: Exactly what I meant. What did you choose?

V: The latter.

Y/N: The moment of truth is here right now. Do you have the guts to stick to your choice and go to the very end or will you pull the plug and die on this rooftop as Mister Nobody?

V: I thought I already gave you my answer.

Y/N: Your words did, yeah, but I can see what's going on in your mind right now. All the fears and doubts are urging you to just pull the chip out of your skull and end this.

V: You wouldn't let that happen, would you?

Y/N: If that's your choice, then I'll respect it.

V: You're kidding.

Y/N: I'm not, I never wanted to force you to do anything, I just wanted you to come to this point and make the choice for yourself, after you see how close we are to bringing them down. So, what will you choose now, V? You talked the talk, will you walk the walk?