Part 3 - Getting Comfortable

Y/n POV

"Wait, you all live here?" Jackie asked.

"No. I live in town with my fiancee, Hayley, but everyone else, yeah." Will replied answering Jackie's question. "This is your room."

We saw a door that I'm guessing lead to the room we would be sharing, but to my surprise when Will opened the door it was amazing it was split in half so Jackie had one side and I had the other. I let Jackie choose what side she wanted and she choose the right side but I was perfectly fine with getting the left side.

"It was my mom's art studio." Will said talking about Jackie side of the room.

My side seemed to be really empty.

"And that was a storage space." Will said from behind me after seeing me try work out what used to be here.

We heard the sound of a box being dropped on the floor and turned to see Cole at the door.

"Will, are you gonna help? There's a ton of stuff to bring up." Cole asked Will. 

"We can do it." Jackie and I said at the same time.

"No." Will said making both me and Jackie look at him. "You two make yourselves at home, okay?" Will stated as he walked past both of us.

"Yeah. Don't worry about it, New York." Cole said to mostly Jackie, as he left our room. I couldn't tell if he meant it as a compliment or an insult. 

"We should probably start unpacking our stuff." I said to Jackie, honestly I didn't really care if my stuff was unpacked or not but I knew that Jackie loved organising things so might as well try.

All she did was look over at me and smiled before getting up of her new bed, walking over to some of her bags.

Short Time Skip

I was currently sitting on the floor leaning against the wall that divided our room.

"This is definitely a pretty big change from what we're used to." I said looking at Jackie as she proceeded to place her neatly folded clothes into her draws.

"Yeah, pretty big change from the city life." Jackie said. After she said that we heard a knock on the door.

"Jackie, y/n, it's me. Can I come in?" It was Katherine she is really sweet I'll say that.

"Yeah." I said looking over at the door as it started to open.

"Will told me about what happened at the pool." Katherine said in an apologetic tone as she opened the door. "I am so sorry about Albert. He just gets really excited sometimes." She stated as she closed the door behind her. Katherine noticed me sitting on the floor and we just smiled at one an other. "So how are you two settling in?" She probably just wanted to make sure that we were fine. "Can I get either of you anything?" She asked both of us looking from me to Jackie. "I'm sorry that there's not more room up here yet." They probably hadn't moved all the stuff out yet.

"It's fine." Jackie said reassuring Katherine. "I'm sorry I'm taking your space." Jackie apologised to Katherine.

I had realised at that moment how similar the two of them were.

"Oh, please. I do not have time to paint anymore with all the kids running around." Katherine said as she moved an easel with paintings on it closer to the wall. "I want you to have it."

"How'd it go with the surgery?" Jackie was never really interested in vets but as part of her nature she kinda had to act like she cared.

"Oh, um, it went well." Katherine said trying to make more room for Jackie. "Uh, turns out Bo had a really bad ear infection. He's gonna be fine. But it was bothering him, and it was bothering his owner." Katherine answered Jackie.

"Did you study veterinary medicine at Columbia?" Jackie asked trying to get a better understanding of Katherine's job. She seemed interested in this and not so much like she was just being nice. "I saw the picture of you and our mom." 

"No. Uh, I got my first degree at Columbia," Katherine was now leaning against a small desk facing Jackie and I. "and then I went to vet school at Colorado State. Such a long time ago." She said trying to make a joke.

I don't know why but a lot of the time adults try making jokes about how old they are but they're never really that funny. I started to zone out of their conversation as I didn't really care too much about what they were talking about.

They keep talking for a few more minutes before Katherine spoke to both of us. "Are either of you hungry? We're about to have dinner." 

"Uh, not really." Jackie said. "I'm pretty tired." I could tell that Jackie just wanted to be alone for a little bit.

"Yeah." I said to Katherine. normally I would stay with Jackie but I haven't had anything to eat since like 8 am this morning and it's currently 6 pm so it's been about 10 hours since I last ate.

"Okay. Well, just come down if you change your mind." Katherine said to Jackie as she got up and walked over to the door as I started to get up off the floor.

Me and Katherine were walking down the stairs when I heard the Walter's all messing around and having fun. I didn't really know anyone there so I went and sat down on the stairs by the pool.

"Hey, mind if I join you?"