Chapter 22

Elaine sits next to me on my couch, her mouth wide open in shock.

"No...way..." She says. "Y/n, there's no way."

"It's true," I groan, rubbing my face.

"So you're telling me that you and your English TA have been hooking up, got caught, got threatened to have your lives destroyed, and then you had the idea to lie and say that Gojo's actually your fiancé? Oh my god," Elaine says in disbelief. "This sounds like a TV drama."

"Let's not act like your life is going that much better," I give her a pointed look.

"Fine," she rolls her eyes. "You have the fake engagement to a hottie and I have the drug dealing pharmacist parents. I guess it's obvious whose life is worse."

I snort. "How's that going, by the way? You almost have all of your funds to move out?"

About a week has passed since she confessed her secret to me and I confessed the fake engagement to Utahime. It was a week of stress and freaking out and trying to lay low for me. I did notice more attention from people I didn't know. My English professor even talked to me after class, never explicitly saying he knew, but trying to get information out of me about me and Gojo. My advisor has been trying to meet with me all week, just as Gojo predicted. Gojo wasn't even in class at the end of the week and I don't know what to make of that. Everything got amped up, like the stakes changed and got much more serious all of a sudden.

Gojo still hasn't texted me. I'm not brave enough to text him first even though I find myself pulling up his contact, staring at his stupid little profile picture, more times that I can count. My finger's always hovering over the "call" button. Only hovering, never committing to anything.

Classic me.

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore so I decided to vent everything to Elaine.

"I'm just about there," Elaine replies. "I think I found an apartment that has a low enough downpayment and rent too. It's not in a great area...but I'm desperate."

I nod, hugging my knees to my chest. "Good. Moving out will be the hardest part. I bet no matter where you are, it'll feel nice to be free."

"I hope so," she says. "I think they can tell something is up. I've been skipping family dinners and spending most of my time in my room. They haven't asked why...but they must know something."

"Have you found anything else? Anymore...evidence?" I ask. If my life is a TV drama then her's is definitely leaning more towards a crime documentary.

"No," she says dejectedly. "I don't want to look for anything else. I just want to leave and never see them again."

"Yeah," I say. "I'd probably do the same thing."

"It just sucks," she plays with the hem of her skirt.

"Yeah," I nod. "It sure does."

There's a knock at the door. Both Elaine and I whip our heads towards it.

"Are you expecting someone?" She asks.

I shake my head, my heart pounding. It must be Gojo.

Oh gosh, I'm not ready.

I get up and walk slowly to the door. The atmosphere is rather foreboding all of a sudden. At least Elaine is here. Her presence is comforting.

I open the door.

Not Gojo.

Sukuna.

Immediately, I try to slam the door shut, but he already has his hand on it, holding it open.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" I sputter, my eyes wide.

"What do you think?" He laughs. "I'm here to see you. It's been a while."

"Now is not a good time," I glance back at Elaine, who's trying to peer around me to see who it is.

"Let me in," he says, not really asking.

"No," I try to shut the door again. Again, it fails. The muscles in his arms flex as he pushes against the door.

"Let me in, Baby," he yanks the door open, causing me to stumble.

I still try to block him from entering, but he grabs my hips and pushes me to the side, entering the apartment. Elaine jumps up, her eyes wide, looking between the two of us. Sukuna stops for a moment, looking at her.

"I said it wasn't a good time," I grind my teeth. "My friend is over."

"That's fine," he says, laughing. "Tell her to leave."

"Excuse me," Elaine says, coming to stand by my side. "I'm not leaving."

My body is tense. I don't like this.

"Get out, Sukuna," I spit. "She's not leaving."

He sighs, running a hand over his jaw. It dawns on me just how big he is. I start to feel a little uneasy. Things have changed since I fucked him. The last time he came over, I miraculously got him to leave, but this time? Will he just leave again?

Shit, I won't fuck him again. I no longer want him like that. It isn't a mistake I could see myself making again.

"Oh yeah?" He laughs, sizing Elaine up.

"Yeah," I tell him, stepping slightly in front of my friend. "Leave."

Sukuna notices my movement and narrows his eyes at me. "No. You owe me."

"The fuck do you mean by that?" I laugh sarcastically. "I don't owe you shit. This is my apartment. She's my friend. You don't have any right to tell me what to do."

"Y/n, I swear to God, tell your fucking friend to leave," he takes a step towards me.

I'm shaking a little. Now that I've known his violence, I can't stop thinking about it. The way he grabbed me until I bruised. I need to get Elaine out of here.

I turn to her. She's staring at Sukuna wide-eyed.

"It's okay, Elaine," I murmur to her, trying to sound convincing. "I'll be fine. Just...I'll call you later."

She shakes her head. "No, I'm not leaving."

"Please," I whisper.

She doesn't need to be involved in this.

But she stares at me, her jaw tight and eyes steeled.

"Elaine," I plead. Sukuna makes an impatient sound. I turn to glare at him for a moment.

"Fine," she nods after a moment, looking at Sukuna with absolute disgust and loathing. My heart breaks a little. This is all so humiliating. I never wanted her to see this. "Fine. I'll leave."

She steps around me, stopping in front of Sukuna. It's almost laughable, her with her silky, feminine skirt and blouse and Sukuna with his black t-shirt and worn out jeans.

"You'll get what's coming to you," she spits, her voice cold.

Sukuna smirks down at her, eyes crossed. "Don't give your opinion about things that you don't understand."

She smiles sweetly up at him, but her eyes stay icy. "It's not an opinion. It's a fact."

She turns to the door, giving me a pointed look that I don't understand. I'm a bit shocked, not having anticipated this side of her.

When the door clicks shut, I take a deep breath and face Sukuna. Now that she's gone, whatever happens...happens. I'm not willing to get hurt again. An odd sort of resignation washes over me.

"What do I have to do to get you to leave," I sigh as he walks over to me. I flinch when he runs a hand up my arm, stopping at the crook of my shoulder and neck. The weight of it feels heavy.

"Sleep with me," he murmurs. "I want your body."

I squeeze my eyes shut, trying to fight my growing panic. Why am I panicking all of a sudden? I've done this before. I can do it again. He's not a stranger. It's okay.

It's okay.