(9) Proposing to the Priestess

Ren Amamiya was terrified.

A year after he and Makoto had moved in together, he stood outside his girlfriend's old apartment, his fingers running over the small black box in his pocket. After seven years of dating Makoto, the former leader of the infamous Phantom Thieves was ready to take the next step.

As long as he could survive Sae Niijima's reaction to it all.

Ren and Sae had become fairly friendly with one another ever since their unfortunate meeting in that interrogation room. The older Niijima wasn't too pleased initially that the leader of the criminal group was daring her younger sister, but once the entire ordeal was over, Sae came around to Ren, even having the boy help her on occasion with personal matters.

Ren knew that Sae liked him and, to an extent, trusted the boy and his judgement. However much he knew, however, he still worried about her reaction to him wanting to marry Makoto. His mind wandered to possible scenarios...

~~>

"I'm sorry, what was that? You want to marry MY sister!? Like hell I'll let her marry some criminal!"

"How could you Amamiya! She's my only sister! You can't take her!"

"Unfortunately Amamiya-kun, Makoto's had a suitor for years and was only with you for pity"

"How do I know she'll be safe? How could anyone be safe with you?"

~~>

It was are to say Ren's fears had taken hold of him, scared that he wouldn't be able to marry the woman he's loved since she'd first awakened to Johanna all those years ago. He took a deep breath, and thought of Makoto. She was always there for him. Though they'd started out as adversaries, they'd bonded over their shared experiences. Her kindness was only matched by her sheer intelligence and combat power, often being key in not just metaverse missions but in their everyday lives as well. Her smile was able to keep him moving through the harshness of police custody and even the emptiness of his hometown. He took a breath.

'You know what, I can do this! I love Makoto. This is for her. I can do this,' he thought to himself, prying his mind away from his inner thoughts and knocking on the door. Thankfully, he'd messaged Sae about coming over for something important, so the woman answered the door soon after.

"Ah, Ren-kun. Come in, please." She invited him in, Ren slipping off his shoes and sitting with her at the counter. "So...what did you wish to speak with me about?"

Ren gulped as he felt a bead of sweat form on his brow. He looked at the older woman next to him, Sae simply looking at him with her ever-present straight face. He sighed and spoke to the silver-haired woman.

"Thank you, Sae-san. For agreeing to meet with me. And...um..."

"It's alright Ren, I don't bite. You know that. So what is it? Is everything alright at home?"

He nodded at her question. "Yes, everything is good. Makoto's been working very hard and I feel she'll be promoted soon. And I've just recently been reassigned as Yoshida-san's secretary, so my pay's been increased quite a bit."

"Oh. That's great Ren. Congratulations to you both! But...I feel like that's not why you wanted to speak, is it?"

"Yes, you're right. Well...you know how Makoto and I have been dating for several years now, correct?" He looked at Sae, a concerned yet curious look in her eyes as he urged him to continue. "Well, we've talked about it, and I've thought about it, and...I want to ask Makoto to marry me."

He looked up at the other woman, and where he expected a scowl or a slap in the face, he instead found the same curious look in her eyes, albeit with a smile forming on her lips.

"W-we've considered it before, and I was waiting for a good point in our careers to do it. And with my new job, I feel that I'm finally ready to...take the next step. So, Sae-san...may I have your blessing?"

What came next Ren would never forget. The usually calm, composed, slightly distant attorney Sae Niijima...hugged him. She turned him in his chair and gave him a hug, a smile present across her features as he sat there confused, eventually returning the hug.

"Ren, that's...that's wonderful! I'm so very happy for you two! But you seemed nervous when you came in. Did you think I would say no?"

Ren's face flushed red with embarrassment as he politely nodded at her question. The eldest Niijima wasn't done surprising him, however, as she let out a small chuckle at his worries.

"You needn't worry Ren. You and Makoto have been nothing but kind and supportive of one another since I've met you. You've done so much more for Makoto than I feel I've been able to do for her. I'm sure that she'll say yes, even if you have doubts that she will. In a way...you've already become part of our family." Ren smiled brightly at the comment, hugging Sae as she returned it in stride.

"Thank you Sae. This...this means so much. I promise that I won't let you down. I'll be the best damn husband Makoto will have ever seen!"

Sae chuckled at the young man's actions. "I'm sure you will Ren." The two shared a smile as they shook hands, Ren's courage slightly returning from his near panic attack at the door.

"So...does this mean I can call you sis?" Sae laughed lightly and pulled the boy back, a playful smirk plastered on his face. She answered him in a similarly snarky tone, eyes serious yet a small smile remaining on her face.

"Don't push it."