8.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

𝔸ℝ𝕀𝔼𝕊 finds solace in the stillness of the night, resting his head against Adeline's tombstone. Occasionally, his gaze shifts towards Alex's grave. Aries feels a deep sense of exhaustion, as if his very essence has been drained, leaving him hollow and empty. Yet, amidst the weariness, a glimmer of happiness dances on his lips, a genuine smile that has been absent for months since Estella's departure. It's as if his body compels him to smile in the presence of the deceased, finding solace in their silent company.

Though lacking the desire and energy to speak, Aries continues to wear that smile, whispering and murmuring the joyful moments of his life to the grave. He shares his stories in vivid detail, hoping that somehow, in the realm of the departed, Alex and Adeline can hear him. With each word, he relives the memories that have shaped him, the moments that have defined his existence.

The first story he recounts is the moment he laid eyes on Estella after all those years of separation. The rush of emotions, the overwhelming joy that flooded his heart, and the realization that their bond had stood the test of time. He describes the way her eyes dull with confusion, the warmth of her voice, and the feeling of completeness that washed over him in that very instant.

Next, he delves into their unforgettable journey together in their first Hunger Games. The trials they faced, the battles they fought side by side. But what made this moment the happiest for him is that, the game brought him a closer bond to Estella. The way she would open up to him. He vividly recalls the moments of triumph and despair, the sacrifices they made for each other, and the unwavering support that carried them through the darkest of times.

Lastly, he shares the intimate night conversations they had before the games, the tender moments of vulnerability and honesty that they shared. He speaks of the nights spent under the stars, their whispered dreams and fears, and the promises they made to always be there for one another. These conversations, filled with love and understanding, became the foundation of their relationship, a sanctuary in a world filled with uncertainty.

As Aries pours out his heart to the graves, he discovers solace in the act of remembrance. The burden of his grief momentarily lifts, replaced by a tinge of bitterness. He doesn't have to drown in this moment for as long as he had anticipated, as the sound of the Hovercraft looms above him. Through his slightly broken eye, he spots Boggs and Dennis waiting above, concerned, as they await the machine's landing on the ground. Boggs, being the Head of Security, remains vigilant of their surroundings before signaling the driver that they will return in 10 minutes.

Dennis, Aries' mentor, rushes out first, not waiting for the ground to be near, as he jumps off and rushes over to Aries. The two adults come to a halt before Aries, who simply glances at their presence before redirecting his attention to Adeline's grave, where he lies. Dennis immediately grows worried; they were expecting Aries' usual behavior of anger and hurtful comments. But here, he just looks like an abandoned child who has finally found his parent, six feet underneath and alone once again...

Dennis reaches out a hand, hesitating for a moment before gently placing it on Aries' shoulder. They watch how he flinches at the touch, his body tense with a mixture of grief and vulnerability. The beast or what people have titled him: Aries look nothing as close. For once, Aries look defenseless. Dennis can see the pain etched on his face, the tears that threaten to spill over.

"Buddy," Dennis says softly, his voice filled with compassion. "We're here for you. You're not alone."

Boggs, standing a few steps behind Dennis, watches the scene unfold with a mix of concern and relief. He had seen Aries as two things: consumed by anger and bitterness. But now, witnessing this vulnerable side of him, Boggs realizes that there is more to Aries than meets the eye. He understands the weight of Aries' grief, having lost loved ones himself, and he knows the importance of offering a helping hand.

As the three of them stand there, a silent understanding passes between them. "You guys are jerks for bringing me here unprepared," Aries mutters, but there's no hint of hostility in his voice. He couldn't even bring himself to cruse. He looks genuinely worn out, carefully standing up to match the height of the two adults. With a sigh, he gazes back at the tombstone, contemplating their next move.

"Estella better not know anything about this," he glares at Dennis, who immediately nods in agreement. They both understand that it would be better for Estella to learn about her parents' grave from someone closer to her. Turning around, Aries respectfully bows to the deceased, surprising both Dennis and Boggs with his manners, while the former feels a sense of pride in him. With one last glance, Aries sets off first, feeling even more determined and anger wash over him from all this chaos of the world

"This doesn't change anything. I'm not joining your stupid revolution but... I'll play along for now," he declares, ensuring that Boggs comprehends and relays the message to the President of District 13.

Commander Boggs acknowledges with a nod, shifting his focus to the previous generation who fought for freedom. He ponders over his thoughts about Aries, recognizing him as a formidable threat with a strong-willed nature. Despite Aries White's rough demeanor and actions, he somehow manages to garner support from others. Perhaps it is his strength and power that initially draws people in, but Aries' moral is what ultimately keeps them by his side.

Just look at Havensbee and Dennis, or any other surviving tribute. They were all initially fearful of Aries, fully aware of the risks involved in aligning themselves with him. However, once they made the choice to stand with him, they found themselves inexplicably drawn to him.

And now, as he stands before the graves of his loved ones, he realizes that he had misjudged the boy. Aries White is like a tyrant lurking in Katniss's shadow, eagerly awaiting the opportunity to spill blood. Boggs understands that President Alma will face a formidable challenge, one that extends beyond Katniss Everdeen. Katniss is merely a decoy in this grand scheme.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶