13.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶

𝔸𝕣𝕚𝕖𝕤 found himself in a state of confusion, everything around him appearing as a hazy blur. Uncertainty filled his mind as he pondered on what he should do next. The atmosphere was thick with confusion, as those around him seemed just as bewildered. While Peeta's declaration of the rebellion's futility was met with shouts and accusations of betrayal from others, the response to Estella's interview was quite the opposite.

The crowd fell into a stunned silence, their words stolen away by the weight of her revelations. Now, fear gripped everyone, not knowing how Aries would react. Would he unleash his anger through screams and punches? The uncertainty led people to keep their distance, prioritizing their own safety. Just as Dennis reached out his hand to offer comfort to his mentee, Aries silently slipped away.

His usual heavy footsteps and labored breathing were absent, as he disappeared into the unknown. The world outside seemed to mirror his internal turmoil, with dark clouds gathering overhead and a chilling wind cutting through the air. Aries walked aimlessly, his mind a jumble of conflicting thoughts and emotions.

⇘          ⇙

Aries had originally intended to isolate himself in his room, shutting out the presence of others. However, Estella's words had a profound impact on him, despite the fact that he was still alive and functioning. The realization that she believed he was dead and had moved on with her life left him feeling utterly useless. Could he really mean nothing to her? No, he couldn't accept that. He refused to believe that Estella would ever forget him...right?

Now, here he stood in front of President Alma and Havensbee, Dennis having dragged him out of his chamber to engage in further discussion. Aries had been present when Katniss agreed to their plan of becoming a Mockingjay, with certain conditions, primarily to protect Peeta. And it seemed that the adults expected the same from him, to protect Estella. However, to their surprise, the boy remained eerily quiet. He avoided making eye contact, simply rolling in his chair with his gaze lost in another world.

Dennis was the first to speak, addressing Aries with a sense of surprise. Aries turned his attention towards them, moving closer to Dennis. Just as Dennis was about to say something, Aries spoke up for the first time since Estella's interview in the Capitol. "Am I dead? Am I dead to the world, Dennis?" Sensing the silence in the room, he continued, "Why?"

Aries then heard a cough in front of him and shifted his gaze towards President Alma. His intense stare caught her off guard, revealing a vulnerability in Aries that made him look like a young boy who had just been told that something he loved was false. It was as if Santa Claus never existed and fairy tales were nothing more than stories. President Alma spoke, explaining, "In the arena, you were barely standing. You were slowly bleeding." Aries furrowed his brow, realizing that her words didn't answer any of his questions.

"When Katniss shot the arrow, you were completely unconscious, Aries. Your body didn't respond, and you weren't breathing. The camera captured the scene before it became hazy."

In a state of disbelief, asked, "So, you're telling me..." but his voice trailed off, he couldn't believe what he was hearing and fell into a momentary silence, as if in denial. Havensbee stepped in, nodding slowly as he spoke, "The entire Capitol saw it. It's probably what President Snow showed to her."

Dennis's face contorted into a frown as he found their reaction to be too harsh. It was undeniable that Aries was incredibly strong, both mentally and physically, but his vulnerability when it came to Estella was evident. Determined to redirect Aries's attention, Dennis pulled his mentee's chair closer, forcing their eyes to meet. As he gazed into Aries's piercing blue eyes, Dennis could see the tears welling up, yet Aries fought to hold them back. Aries despised showing any sign of vulnerability.

"Aries, listen to me," Dennis began, watching as Aries slowly nodded, eager for some guidance. "Estella said those words because she believes you're dead. And with a video like that circulating, she has no choice but to trust Snow." Aries took in a deep breath, he was to exhausted now, "What do you want me to do, Dennis?" His voice was clear to giving up.

"Join the revolution." Aries's demeanor suddenly turned harsh and fierce at Dennis's suggestion. The rebellion? Aries scoffed in disbelief, his disgust evident. "No-" Before Aries could finish his sentence, Dennis interrupted, his frustration evident as he slammed his fist on the table. This action only fueled Aries's anger, and the two engaged in a heated glaring contest.

"Look, Estella believes you're dead, and here you are, doing nothing about it! You doing just that is what making Estella move on to Peeta!! Just join the revolution, even if it's just for a minute, for her!" Silence filled the room as President Alma and Havensbee observed the private moment, unable to resist being amused by the intensity between Aries and Dennis.

Aries pondered silently, his thoughts hidden behind a stoic expression. His pride refused to let him back down, but deep down, he was aware of the potential repercussions for Estella. Letting out a frustrated sigh, he couldn't help but feel a sense of defeat in losing the fight against Dennis, despite always holding himself in high regard. "...fine," he muttered under his breath, hoping his words would go unnoticed in the empty room, but they echoed through nonetheless. "But don't think I'll go along with anything that easily."

President Alma, sensing Aries' wavering resolve, swiftly continued, not wanting to give him a chance to change his mind. "I understand, Mr. White. Do you have your own conditions?" she asked, her voice laced with concern. "Will you ask me to forgive Estella's actions, like Katniss did for Peeta?"

"No," Aries responded, shocking everyone present - Dennis, Alma, and Havensbee. This was not the answer they had anticipated from someone as loyal to Estella as Aries. "No?" Dennis questioned, seeking confirmation, but Aries stood firm, repeating his response. This time, he offered an explanation, "No, Estella wouldn't utter those words without understanding the consequences. I don't care how people perceive her or what they hurl at her. I'll take matters into my own hands and silence them all myself."

The adults nodded in understanding, recognizing Aries' perspective. "My condition is simple: when I say no, it means no," he declared, rising from his seat and leaving no room for further discussion or disagreement.

➴➵➶➴➵➶➴➵➶