0010

10
_____________________________________________

I felt a kiss being placed on my forehead stirring me awake. My eyes few open with no doubt a sleepy glint to them. I saw Marcus standing in front of me dressed and ready to catch his flight.

I look over to my right to see that it was five in the morning. I didn't know how he always got up so early, willingly might I add.

Of course I got up whenever I had work but on the weekends and vacation voluntary?

Hell no

"I can drive you if you want?" I suggest covering a yawn with my hand.

Moments from last night begin to flow through my mind. Especially from the argument that him and I had, even though it was mostly one sided.

Just as I had expected he didn't mention and mumbling word about it.

Which was in true Marcus fashion, to sweep things under the rug. Marcus and I had good communication for the most part but whenever he felt like he was being place under a scope he withdrew.

His everyday job consisted of arguments and confrontations which is probably why he tired to avoid them in his personal life.

"Just go back to sleep, happy new year baby." He said and his smile was the last thing I saw before drifting off again.

When I finally woke up Charlie made us all go to the mall to take pictures as a family with Santa.

God knows we're all too damn grown for it but he persisted that it was tradition, so eventually Harper and I had folded as aways.

I'd never forget wanting to smack that teasing smirk that covered Dexter's face as Charlie stood next to Santa with Harper and I sitting on his lap.

It was the most embarrassing thing that has ever happened to me in my entire life but leave it up to Charlie to still see us as his favorite two little girls.

When we got back it was well into the evening and I had wanted to curl up into my covers but of course he had other plans. He called us all to come downstairs so that we could roast marshmallows, like we did when we were still kids.

I remember like it was yesterday sitting on his lap as him and Regina sung Christmas carols together.

"Finally we get to do something." Zane huffed next to his brother. Dad had only chucked rubbing the hair on his head.

The kids didn't get to come to the Christmas party because Harper had wanted to let loose.

"Just wait till you get a little older kid." He smiled as he pulled both of his grandkids into his arms.

"I can't believe they're getting so big." Harper said coming to stand next me. I had a hot chocolate in my hand as everyone else sat in the backyard on the patio furniture. There were stringing lights that shined on everyone's faces from above.

In the middle was a bonfire that felt so good against my skin as the winter breeze blew well into the night.

"They're going to be so handsome Harper, I can see them being little heartbreakers already." I said with a giggle. Zane was definitely the rebellious one that got into a lot of trouble and Zeke was the sweetheart but he was more sneaky, while Zane didn't necessarily care about getting caught.