Humbling Chaos

I weave my way through the crowded dining area, effortlessly balancing trays filled with plates of steaming food.

I'm no pro but I've certainly come a long way. There was a time I could barely hold one tray and I have my lovely colleagues to thank for the upgrade. I think they felt bad for me as Amos wouldn't get off my case.

Every table is filled, and hungry patrons anxiously scan the room, hoping for a seat. La Chevre is known to have busy days and it's almost impossible to get a reservation, but today has redefined the word "busy" in this fine and prevalent establishment.

The demand is relentless, and the pressure to deliver exceptional service mounts with each passing minute.

I barely have a moment to breathe before I'm pulled in another direction, summoned by the beckoning gestures of a family with eager and seemingly hungry children. 

As I approach them, I'm suddenly pulled aside by my manager who evidently still questions why I got offered the job in the first place. I mean I'm decent at my job now but I was a disaster when I started, that's one thing I'll agree with him on.

Of course he didn't make the journey any easier for me. He made sure to note down every single mistake I made and he watched me like a hawk... he still does.

I don't think he'll ever let it go, and it doesn't seem like it's enough for him to simply come up with his own conclusions like everyone else has.

Evin on the other hand is not putting in effort to deny the allegations. I know he doesn't feel the need to explain himself or his actions to anyone but I wish he would stop with the special treatment. He feels sorry for me but I don't think my colleagues understand that.

Amos certainly doesn't.

So when he pulls me aside on one of the busiest days we've had yet, I have no choice but to assume the worst.

Did he finally manage to get me fired? What have I done now?

 I stopped trying to extend the olive branch to him after he stepped on my previous attempts. He doesn't care for me and that's ok.

"You have a call from a Lydia."

Pure malice accompanies his tone as he barks at me... nothing new. But as much as I would like to entertain his attitude, I'm too invested in the sudden suspense in my chest.

Is Zoe okay?

"Not that I even have to tell you this, but I am not your personal assistant and the work phone is not your cellphone."

Amos' remark simply passes through my ears as he walks past me and I finally pick the phone up to answer it. What could Lydia be calling about?

When I was stranded with Zo and I didn't know where to take her after school, Lydia kindly offered to watch her. Our kids are friends and she pretty much insisted. Zoe likes hanging out with her friend too so it all worked out.

I could no longer bother Olli with the duty as it was my week to take care of our daughter. It wasn't fair on him or his partner that I kept calling in for favors.

"Hello?"
My voice barely comes out as I answer the phone. If Lydia is calling me during work, it's got to be because of an emergency. She knows my job demands every bit of my attention.