To Love and Leave You

My eyes pop open and I'm immediately engulfed with disappointment when my head turns to the side of the bed that's seemingly empty.

He left without me.

I don't have to get off the bed and search the house to confirm this. He threatened to do it a few times before but I didn't think he would actually do it. The man jokes about everything, or at least that's what I thought.

I've been waking up late lately but it's not like I don't have a reason. He's been keeping me up late at night with love-making sessions, not that I'm complaining - but I get tired, and consequently, I wake up late.

I have to switch off my alarm when I'm with him because it's too loud and he's a light sleeper, this means I have to depend on him to wake me up since I'm the opposite of a light sleeper.

Somebody has to throw a bucket of ice-cold water on my head to wake me up, otherwise I'm sleeping 'till next Sunday.

Our unspoken arrangement was easy, it worked. Yet, here I am, worried about whether or not I'll be able to find an Uber ride in this bougie neighborhood where everyone has at least 5 cars.

After letting out a loud frustrated sigh, I pick up my phone from the side table then practically jump off the bed when I see the time.

I'm 3 hours late. How could he let this happen?

I blame him, it's all on him. He's supposed to wake me up. He complains about it every time, which is fine, but he's still supposed to do it. That's what partners do.

But now my amazing boyfriend decided to be petty and leave me behind, and because of that, my even more amazing manager will be glad to add another incompetence instance to his growing list titled, 'Why Izzy shouldn't be working here.'

The man still won't let me catch a break, but I guess in his defense, he made it clear he wasn't going to.

You'd think dating the boss would make him reconsider his toxic plans, but nope, he seems even more determined now to prove I'm unfit to do my job.

So I expect the worst from him today as I get ready for work. I manage to send a quick text to my ex-husband as I do that, confirming that Zoe's with me tonight.

I can't wait to see my baby girl, that's my only consolation today. Everything and everyone else sucks.

I rush around the house after taking a quick shower and then finally find myself in the living room where a note seemingly awaits me.

I scoff at its presence as I request my ride to work. There's nothing he can say to make the fact that he left me behind seem tolerable.

He could've left me for literally anything else, but not my job - he knows how important that is to me. I know he's the boss but I still want to be in my best behavior. My reputation is on the line.

So I open the letter with a determination to roll my eyes at its contents. I don't think anything can turn my frown upside down this morning. I'm already having one of those days.

'Morning love, see you at work'

The simple words occupy the simple-looking letter, and as expected, my eyes roll to the back of my head. I've truly come to love the man for his simplicity, and while I usually find it cute, I don't today.