A Heart Rekindled

As the world outside passes by in a blur of greenery and sunlight, my eyes stay drawn to the majestic trees that line our path through the window. Their branches sway in harmony with a gentle breeze.

I melt at the scenic escape of the familiar yet previously undervalued sight.

Moments later, as if prompted by the enchantment of the scenery, I feel a warmth on my hand which lays gently on my thigh. I look up to see a shy smile plastered on Evin's face as he drives.

Another sight I've come to appreciate.

His warm palm rests softly over my fingers, causing a surge of emotions to rush through me. The small yet tender gesture captivates my very senses, leaving me feeling high to the touch and craving for more.

Our eyes stay locked on each other for a moment and that seems to encourage his next words,

"I think we should tell everyone."
He passes my designated drop-off point as he says, causing the words to miss my ears. Did he just miss our stop? My eyes stay fixed on the specific spot that's on a curve right before we arrive at the popular shopping mall where his restaurant is.

Evin and I have been driving to work together every day for a few weeks now and we'd agreed we didn't want to draw any unnecessary attention on us and our relationship, hence the designated drop-off point that has hindered the possibility of any of my colleagues witnessing us.

We use the back entrance of the mall for this reason. Nobody else at the restaurant uses the back entrance as it's far from the luxury section that happens to be where we work. I know for a fact that none of my colleagues use that path, it's way too inconvenient and rewardless.

"I think it's time they know."
He means well, I know he does. But while he'll be able to get away with informing his colleagues that he's dating his employee, I'll have to endure the constant ridicule of getting in bed with my boss.

I can only imagine the comments and gossip. I usually don't care what people have to say about me, but this is my job and I would ideally like to get along with my colleagues as I spend a lot of time with them.

It certainly doesn't help that I've denied all inappropriate involvement with him. They will surely think I'm a liar, I would hate to be labeled as such.

"I know you're worried about Amos."
He reads my mind. But Amos is only a portion of my worries.

I fear I may lose the respect of those who have shown me kindness since I started working at the restaurant. I'll even go as far as to say I've established friendships with some of them. What would they think of me now that Evin and I are together?

When has an affair of this nature ever flourished without adversity?

"I am. But Amos doesn't scare me, he just deeply annoys me. You're right though, we can't hide forever."

I'll be damned if I have to let go of one of the very few good things in my life because of what other people might say. The reality is, if I want any kind of future with Evin, revealing our involvement is only a small piece of the puzzle... a necessary piece at that.

I haven't dated much in my life, for many reasons. Olli was my first boyfriend and if I'm being honest, I was nervous about dating again after him.