Why is Archie here?

NB:

Hi guys, for those who missed my announcement, I was away on holiday for the past 2 weeks. I'm officially back now and so are the regular weekly updates.

I hope you enjoy the chapter❤️

———–———-

My lips stay parted as I take a moment to register Archie's words.

He's joking, he has to be joking.

Even if he wasn't, it doesn't matter because I'm a happily taken woman, he doesn't get to show up and decide who I end up with. I may have had a brush with infidelity once but that was a mistake that will never be repeated.

Archie was lovely then, I don't doubt he is now. But yet again, he's late to the party, and that's neither his nor my fault. Perhaps fate may be in play here.

If it was truly meant to be it wouldn't be this complicated.

I did wonder how things would've turned out had I chosen him but I still wouldn't change a thing. I believe everything's happened just as it was meant to.

Everything has led me to Zoe and Evin who are such prosperous gifts in my life.

I'm a happy woman who's not letting anything come between me and my newfound peace. So I ready myself to deliver the bad news again to him, but I'm stopped by,

"Who are you?"
Evin's voice echoes through the occupied room, causing myself and Archie to face his direction.

I already know I look guilty even though I haven't done anything wrong... my past precedes me, or maybe that's what my mind concludes on its own.

Why am I with another man in an empty workers' kitchen while everyone else is at the party outside?

His demeanor shows no pleasure and that hardly shocks me, much like his untimely entrance at the party. My bad karma is my tail.

Before I'm able to defend myself to my lover, I hear,

"Archie is my name... you must be the current boyfriend, I'm the ex."
Archie's confidence stands tall, causing me to tilt my head slightly in wonder. Who is this man and what did he do to the reserved boy I used to know?

I'm curious about the life events that produced the sudden cockiness in his persona. I'm not sure I hate it, he may have been too good then. However, this is neither the time nor the place to showcase his newfound confidence.

Evin is fuming and I have no clue what to expect from him.

I look at the two men as they shake hands, their gazes never once shifting from each other's sharpened eyes - the tension is ever present as they openly challenge one another.

"I am indeed."
Evin barks back.

Did he hear Archie's words before entering? It's the only way I can explain the chilling intensity in his eyes.

"I'm glad you made it back babe, I missed you."

The words escape my lips almost immediately after his response, a defense it feels like. Even though I did miss him, I realize I blurted out the words to justify my guiltless actions. I reckon I'll struggle with that for a while.