The One Where The Adventure Begins

Madeleine's POV

Lightning cracked. Thunder rumbled.

"We're home," I held the door open for Milo. "Fluffy? Here kitty," Milo called out dejectedly but our cat was nowhere to be seen. Milo tugged on the light switch only to find out that the fuse had blown (again) leaving all of us in the darkness, including the strange mysterious woman that was standing across the room.

"Milo James Thatch? Madeleine Heidi Thatch?" she cooed alluringly.

"Who. who are you? How did you get in here?" Milo was taken aback.

"I came down the chimney. Ho ho ho." the woman sat down in the chair seductively, lifted her leg slightly and slid down her shawl to reveal her bare shoulders which made me bite my lip.

"My name is Helga Sinclair. I'm acting on behalf of my employer who has a most intriguing proposition for you two. Are you two interested?"

"Your.. your employer?" Milo chuckled. "Who is your employer?" I asked Helga.

She didn't tell us.

Before I knew it, I found myself in the back of a car with Milo and Helga during the pouring rainstorm and the ride was spent in heavy, unsettling silence. The black metal iron gates creaked open, allowing the car to pass into the long winding driveway that led uphill.

Once inside the luxurious mansion, the butler politely took possession of all of our coats. Milo and I marveled at the decorations in the foyer, becoming easily distracted. Most of it consisted of statues of knights in armour, large paintings, antique lanterns... you name it.

"This way, please. Step lively. Mr Whitmore does not like to be kept waiting," Helga spoke sternly. Milo and I followed her into the elevator. "You two will address him as Mr Whitmore or Sir. You two will stand unless asked to be seated. Keep your sentences short and to the point. Are we clear?" Helga neatened up our appearances and I gulped.

The elevator lowered the three to the basement which is where me and Milo parted ways with Helga. "And relax. He doesn't bite...often," she taunted before the elevator rode upwards and she was gone.

"Phew," I breathed.

"She was intense." Milo commented.

I nodded.

Milo glanced around the basement as the two headed in further. "Whoa, it's like a secret museum mixed with a library here." I said in awe. Milo and I were taking in the sight of the excess furniture and then his attention was completely stolen by a large portrait that hung on the wall. It was of two old men shaking hands, one of them Milo recognized in awe.

"Grandpa?" I wondered.

"Finest explorer I ever met" a cheery voice greeted from a dark corner.
"Preston Whitmore. Pleasure to meet you and Madeleine, Milo," the eccentric millionaire was in the middle of bone-cracking yoga. For an old man, he was rather flexible, contorting his body into bizarre positions.

"Join me in a little yoga?" He asked us.

I shook my head. "Uh, no, no thank you." Milo declined politely. "Did you really know our grandfather?" I asked curiously.

"Oh yeah. Met old Thaddeus back in Georgetown. Class of '66. We stayed close friends till the end of his days.
Even dragged me along on some of his danged fool expeditions. Thatch was crazy as a fruit bat he was. He spoke of you two often," Mr. Whitmore explained.

"Funny. He never mentioned you," Milo hesitated. "Oh, he wouldn't. He knew how much I liked my privacy. I keep a low profile," Mr. Whitmore explained. And that was my cue to take my eyes on a walk.