The One Where We Stay In Atlantis For One Night (JK)

Madeleine's POV

Milo and I accomplished a linguist's ultimate dream by discovering the lost city of Atlantis.

The city was alive and thriving. The breathtaking waterfall view which was enveloped by shrouds of mist left everyone in a tranced silence.
The scenery was so perfect that it didn't feel real. Milo squeezed my hand and I smiled.

For years, we had been scrutinized by the museum. The Smithsonians laughed at us. Now, we were the ones to have the last laugh.

"Sweet mother of Jefferson Davis!" Cookie exclaimed.

"It's beautiful," Audrey breathed out in awe.

"Milo, I gotta hand it to you. You really came through," Sweet placed his hand on my brother's shoulder. From above, the expedition crew were then suddenly ambushed by the hunting party from earlier. The masked people pointed their curved spears at the group in warrior-style positions.

"Uh, I take that back," said Sweet. "Holy cats! Who are these guys?" Rourke reached for his gun and so did Helga.

"They gotta be Atlanteans," Milo beamed. "What? That's impossible," Helga hissed, frowning at Milo.

"I seen this back in the Dakota. They can smell fear just by looking at ya, so keep quiet," Cookie whispered, holding his index finger to his lips.

The chief of the masked people spoke Atlantean pointing at the group, prompting Mole to tug on Milo's arm.

"I think it's talking to you and Mads," the geologist whispered. As the only explorer to understand, Milo stepped forward and conversed with her to the best of his knowledge.

He didn't speak as fluently but it was good enough for the chief to understand his communication.

The chief removed the mask, revealing herself to be the beautiful woman with snow white hair and blue eyes. My cheeks felt hot. "Parlez-vous francais?" I stepped in while curtsying. "Oui mademoiselle!" the woman replied.

"They speak my language!"
Mole became excited and approached her. "Pardon, mademoiselle," Mole motioned to her with his finger and the woman crouched down closer to his height with a polite smile. "Ah, voulez-vous..." he whispered what one could assume was inappropriate into the woman's ear.

She gave a disgusted look before punching Mole in the face which sent him flying to the grassy ground. Ooh, I like her," Dr Sweet applauded with a  grin. "Hmm! 'Bout time someone hit him," Audrey commented, "I'm just sorry it wasn't me. "

The fellow Atlanteans removed their masks, welcoming the explorers with kindness in different languages as the two groups mingled together curiously.

"How do they know all these languages?" Audrey asked, discreetly noticing that all of the Atlanteans were barefoot.

"Their language must be based on a root dialect. It's just like the Tower of Babel," Milo tapped his finger against his chin.

Rourke approached him from behind and placed a hand on the linguist's shoulder. "Well, maybe English is in there somewhere," said the leader before shoving Milo aside.

"We are explorers from the surface world. We come in peace," Rourke stated with confidence. Milo glared at him from the side.

"Welcome to the city of Atlantis," the woman addressed warmly, gesturing proudly towards her home in the distance, "Come, you must speak with my father now," she grabbed onto me Milo and I's arms and pulled us along.

"Squad B, head back to the shaft and salvage what you can," Rourke ordered.

"Yes Sir!"

"We'll rendezvous in 24 hours," the leader commanded.