I'm Home

In the taxi I called Owen.

"Hey, is everything alright? It's only been half an hour since you last called?" He asked, worry lacing his voice.

"Uh not exactly." My voice shook as tears threatened to fall.

"Jess, what's happened?" He asked, getting more and more worried by the second.

"Well, I-I got in and Mark was there. He proceeded to tell me how he missed me and how he wanted to get back together with me a-and then he proposed." I hesitantly said.

"That son of a b-" I cut him off.

"Obviously, I said no but he's acting like he never broke up with me." I sighed, rubbing my temple.

"He is so lucky I'm not there right now." Owen said angrily.

"Owen, calm down." I sighed.

"Sorry." He said sheepishly. "Where are you? You sound like you're in a car."

"I'm going to my parents house. No matter how much I want to be in my flat, Mark lives there too, so I'm not staying." I replied as my eyes teared up.

"That's good. Go and enjoy yourself with family." Owen said.

"I will. I'm sorry for bothering you, but I really just needed to hear your voice." I admitted, my voice shaking again.

"You're not bothering me. Call me whenever you want and I promise I'll answer." He said sweetly. "Unless I'm being attacked by a dinosaur, or worse... Claire." He joked and I laughed.

"Thank you." I smiled down the phone.

"Don't worry about it." He replied.

"I wish you were here, I really need a hug." I sighed quietly.

"You'll be home in a few days and I'll give you hugs until you're sick of me. I promise." He said sincerely.

"How on earth did I get lucky enough to get someone like you?" I smiled to myself.

"I could ask the same question. I'll talk to you tomorrow." He said.

"Okay. Buh bye." I said.

"Byeeeee" He sang, as usual as he hung up.

I sighed, putting my phone in my pocket as the driver came to a halt.

"Thank you." I paid the driver before hopping out, hauling my bag behind me.

I knocked on the familiar red door and it opened a couple of seconds later.

"Jess?!" My mother gasped.

"Hi Mum." I smiled and she brought me in for a hug.

"What are you doing back in London?" She pulled away.

"I took a few days off." I replied as she dragged me inside. "Well, my boss forced me to take a few days off."

"That's great, honey." She beamed. "Ste!"

"Yes?" My father called back.

"Jess is home!" My mother squealed excitedly.

"Jess?!" My dad ran in. "Jess!" He tackled me into a hug.

"Hi, Dad." I beamed.

***

"So, where's Owen?" My mother smirked.

"Working." I rolled my eyes.

"When are you going to bring him home?" She asked, winking at me.

"I don't know!" I laughed as my phone started ringing, indicating that I was getting a FaceTime call.

"Speak of the devil." My mother muttered with a sly smile and I rolled my eyes, answering the phone.

"Hullo." I beamed, walking into another room as Owen's face appeared on my screen.

"Hey, Jessy." Owen waved.

"Jessy?" I questioned and he laughed.

"How are you?" He asked.

"I'm great. Much better now that I'm back home with my parents." I replied.

"That's great." He said excitedly. "Any word from, uh, Mark?"

"No." I sighed. "Thank god."

"Good." He said.

"Anyway, how are you? How are the girls?" I asked, changing the subject.

"We're all good. Blue say 'hi'." Owen said as he turned the screen towards the paddock.

"Hey Blue!" I yelled, waving my arms around as the dinosaur looked up at Owen, who was sitting on the walkway above her.

"Ow alright no need to scream, she has better hearing than me." Owen joked as the dinosaur squawked at him.

"Sorry." I giggled.

I heard a laugh and I turned to the door to see my mother standing in the doorway.

"Mum, get out!" I hissed, moving the phone away.

"Nooo I want to say hi to Owen!" He squealed.

"No, mum." I scalded her.

"Come on Jess, let me talk to your lover." She walked over, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Hey, Jess, what's up?" I heard Owen ask.

"My mother wants to talk to you." I sighed.

"Oh.. Alright." He said as a worried look appeared on his face.

I groaned, shuffling up so my mum could sit next to me.

"Hello!" She said cheerily.

"Hey, Mrs Pipes." Owen replied with a smile..

"Mel." My mother corrected.

"Sorry, Mel." Owen chuckled.

"So Jess has been given time off an you've not, that must suck." My mum said.

"Definitely." Owen laughed. "I wish I could have come over to England but as you can hear by the screeching going on in the background, my girls need me." He sighed. "Blue! Echo! Hey! Stop that!" He leaned out of view as he scalded the dinosaur. "Sorry about that, Blue's fighting with Echo for some unknown reason." He sheepishly smiled as another squawk came from the dinosaurs.

"They're velociraptors, Owen, they fight for fun." I said.

"That's true." He chuckled.

"Can I see them?" My mother asked excitedly.

"Sure." He turned his camera around and we saw the four dinosaurs wandering around.

"Which one's which?" She asked.

"This is Echo." He pointed to Echo. "Charlie, Delta and Blue." He pointed to each dinosaur. "Blue's the Beta." He stated as he turned the camera round.

"Who's the Alpha?" My mum asked and I rolled my eyes.

Owen loved this question.

"You're looking at him." He smirked and I laughed.

"You say that every time." I stated.

"It's the truth." He laughed, flipping the camera around again.

He whistled and they all looked up.

"See." He flipped the camera back around to him.

My mother looked amazed and I laughed.