You've Got To Be Kidding Me

I quietly ate my cereal whilst Owen stood up, looking around my bungalow. My phone started ringing and I apologised to Owen before putting my cereal down and walking into the other room.

"Hello?" I answered without looking at the caller ID.

"Hey, Jess." Mark's voice came through the phone. "I hope you've not forgotten about me?"

"Hey! No, how could I forget about you?" I laughed.

"It sure seems that way, you've been gone a month and I haven't heard a peep from you." He said and I sighed.

"I'm sorry, I've just been really busy." I apologised.

"I understand. How are the dinosaurs, have any tried to eat you yet?" He joked.

"Yes, I got chased by a T-Rex earlier and now I'm missing a chunk of my leg. I'm just in the hospital getting it bandaged up." I joked. "OW! Careful!" I moved the phone away slightly, pretending to scald someone.

"What?!" He gasped, sounding terrified.

"I'm kidding!" I laughed. "But I have bonded with a dinosaur that doesn't let any other humans near her without ripping them in half apart from me." I beamed.

"Please don't tell me that you've been in an enclosure with a dinosaur that could rip you in half in the blink of an eye." He sighed angrily.

"Sure I have, it's fine. She won't hurt me." I reassured him.

"Uh Jess." Owen's voice came from the other room.

He walked into my bedroom with a worried look on his face.

"Who's that?" Mark asked.

"Hang on." I said to Mark. "What's up?" I lowered my phone.

"Lowery just radioed you." He gulped.

"Why? What's happened?" I frowned.

"He said there was a problem with your dinosaur." My heart dropped.

"What happened to her?" I gasped.

"Nothing happened... To her." He stepped closer to me and I gave him a questioning look. "Someone went into her paddock."

"What?!"

"H-he didn't come back out." Owen gulped.

"Why did he go in there in the first place?!" I yelled.

"I don't know." Owen frowned.

I groaned. "Some people never learn."

"This has happened before?" He frowned.

"No." I said. "She's a dinosaur, you can't blame her. It's in her nature. I've been telling everyone that for months. She only trusts me. But no one listens."

"Please don't tell me that you've been in that beast's enclosure." He asked worriedly.

"She isn't a beast." I defended.

"She's a wild animal, Jess!" Owen raised his voice.

"So are your raptors!" I retorted.

"They're only just taller than me, your dinosaur is fifty feet long!" He looked in my eyes with a hurt look on his face, putting his hands on my arms.

"She's fine around me! She hasn't hurt me!" I pulled out of his grasp.

"Not yet!" I couldn't place my finger on the look in his eye.

"Owen, I'm fine around her. I'm perfectly safe." I reassured him.

"I-I just don't want anything happening to you, thats all." He stepped closer to me, tucking a curl behind my ear as my heart fluttered.